Tuesday, May 7, 2013

thanks and praise


Tuesday, May 7, 2013 (5:57 a.m.)
Blessed Father God,
Thank You. Thank You for work and rest. Thank You for hope and love. Thank You for the privilege of coming before You saying, "thank You".
When I was awake enough to think clearly, I was excited for this opportunity to come be with You. My thoughts went immediately to Psalm 100. Yesterday was my first realization of just how powerful these short five verses are.
Through the years I've been most familiar with verse four. That's the one that calls us to enter Your gates with thanksgiving in our hearts to enter Your courts with praise. Several years ago I was introduced to the idea that we thank You for the things You do and praise You for all You are.
That's exactly what got me excited to come out here. The fact that both thanks and praise are covered right here. Beginning in verse one, “Shout triumphantly to the Lord, all the earth!” Or put another way, which I just now recognized Make a joyful noise unto the Lord all the earth, Make a joyful noise unto the Lord... Make a loud noise, and rejoice sing praises! Make a joyful noise unto the Lord
Oh Father. How I thank You for the reminders You give us of all You have done or us. Verse two of the Old 100th tells us to “Serve the Lord with gladness; come before His presence with singing.” Another version says, “Obey Him gladly; come before Him, singing with joy.” Yes Father. I ask that You would continue Your work in my heart, soul, mind and strength (Mark 12:30) that I truly would come to obey You gladly!
I look at various translations of these verses and I am pleased to read, “Know that the Lord is God. He made us, and we belong to Him. We are His sheep, the sheep He takes care of” (v.3 Easy-to-Read Version). It's one thing to think of myself as a sheep of Your pasture, which many renderings use. The reminder that You take care of us is wonderfully comforting.
So far we are reminded of what You do for us, then we get to verse five which spells out three things You are. The Good News Translation says, “The Lord is good; His love is eternal and His faithfulness lasts forever. The Living Bible puts it this way, “For the Lord is always good. He is always loving and kind, and His faithfulness goes on and on to each succeeding generation.”
You are God. You are good. Loving. Kind. Faithful. Eternal. And another song starts singing. Give thanks to the Lord, our God and King. His love endures forever! For He is good, He is above all things. His love endures forever! Sing praise, sing praise!
Father, thank You that I get to come before You with thanks and praise. Remind me to use them well this day. I love You. And I long to serve You. Empower and enable me to feel and be and think and do all that You have for me this day. Thank You Father. Praise You. Amen.
(521 words ~ 7:18 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment