Thursday, November 4, 2021

The Recovery Three Step

Thursday, November 4, 2021 (4:01 a.m.)

Holy Good,


Thank You. Praise You. I woke up talking with You just now and I am grateful to be in Your presence. Guide and direct me into Your Word I pray.


Looking up at my initial greeting just now I notice the extra ‘o’ I put into Your name. As I was preparing to correct it I’ve opted to let it stay. Thank You for yet another reminder of Your goodness. And the fact that we all make mistakes.


That’s along the lines of what I want to talk with You about. The consequences of making mistakes. Again I ask You to lead and guide me this morning.


Yesterday I said aloud the phrase, “Apathy has consequences.” This morning I reminded You [or was it You reminding me?] that apathy is not my friend.


Using the thesaurus and dictionaries available to me I dig deeper into the root of the word. What a rabbit trail that could easily become. Apathy. Empathy. Sympathy. Each tied together by the Greek pathos - suffering, disease, feeling, passion.


Father, I truly feel an “Aha!” moment about myself coming on here. Thank You for opening whatever door it is You have prepared for me. 


Realizing that I often can’t control the lack of interest, enthusiasm, or concern [apathy] I feel at times, this morning I remembered: “God can!” And I want [need] desperately to let You!


Recognizing this simple Truth as the shorthand version of the first three steps of twelve, it was just now introduced to me as “The Recovery Three Step - 1. I can’t. 2. God can. 3. I’ll let Him.”


I come to You eagerly this morning. Asking. Seeking. Knocking (another three; from Matthew 7:7). Lord how grateful I am to You for reminding me of Your faithful presence (Jeremiah 23:23-24).


Continue Your work in teaching me that apathy does indeed have consequences. And that You are ever available to help!


There are definitely going to be times that I will be ‘powerless over my emotions. And my life will become unmanageable’ (1).


Remind me, as often as necessary, that I ‘came to believe that a Power greater than myself could restore me to sanity’ (2).


Not caring is never something I can overcome on my own. I can, however ‘make a decision to turn my will and my life over to the care of God’ (3). Yes!


1. I can’t. 2. God can. 3. I’ll let Him. 1, 2, 3. 1, 2, 3…


Character flaws are beyond my control. But not Yours! [1, 2, 3]. Thank You for Your holy goodness [see initial greeting!]. I love You Lord.


Reading Paul’s words to the Romans (7:18-25) again I am reminded that I am not alone in not being able to make myself do right. Thank You God that my sinful nature is never a surprise to You.


The Life Recovery Bible states, “King David described God’s tenderness toward us because of our human condition: ‘The Lord is like a father to his children, tender and compassionate to those who fear Him. For He understands how weak we are; He knows we are only dust’ (Psalm 103:13-15).” Thank You that You are. And that You do.


So here I ask You to dance with me Dad. Teaching me to care. Appropriately. Not too much. Nor too little.


“1, 2, 3. 1, 2, 3… I can’t. You can. I’ll let You…” Breathe in. And out. Naturally. Rhythmically. Just right.


Oh look! Here I’m singing. ♪Dance With Me♪ Three one syllable words [1, 2, 3…] ♪I want to be Your partner♪


At first, thinking I was singing to You. As I read on, I hear it from You to me instead. Blessed God how I thank You for the tender care You take of Your children.


Today I ask You to use me exactly as You know is best. Learning. Loving. Caring. [1, 2, 3]. As only You are able to orchestrate [1, 2, 3].


I love You. I want to serve You. You know how to make that happen. Keep me out of Your way as You work through me to Your good and to Your glory. Thank You. Praise You. Amen.

(673 words ~ 7:01 a.m.)


No comments:

Post a Comment