Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Numbers

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 (6:49 a.m.)

Lord God,


Being aware of the numbers on the clock during the night I knew I wanted to read more about the book of Numbers. Thank You for guiding me to learn more about Your Word.


Until just now I hadn’t been aware of the reason behind the title of this ancient book. The English name refers to the census numbers of chapters 1 and 26. It’s the Hebrew title, “In the Wilderness”, that leaves me wanting to know more.


The Life Recovery Bible’s THE BOTTOM LINE tells us the reason behind this book was to show that ‘Your great mercy and forgiveness toward Your people are consistent with the firm, loving discipline You show when we disobey.’ It lists the KEY VERSES as 14:17-18.


“The LORD is slow to anger and rich in unfailing love, forgiving every kind of sin and rebellion.” Oh most Blessed Lord God I pray as I quote verse 17 directly here, “Please, Lord, prove that Your power is as great as You have claimed it to be.”


Yes Holy God, we believe and trust You to be the loving and forgiving God Your Word says that You are. Rich in mercy. Slow to anger. Trustworthy (Psalm 118:8-9).


Mm, yes. A Step 3 (of 12) devotional for Numbers 23:18-24, entitled Trusting God reminds us, “We may have learned in the past that putting confidence in people brings only pain and disappointment. We can’t let this keep us from ever trusting again. In working Step Three [We made a decision to turn our will and our life over to the care of God.] we can make a healthy decision to turn our will and our life over to the only One who is worthy of being trusted.”


Oh yes most Blessed God! Continuing, “The Bible tells us, ‘God is not a man, that He should lie. He is not a human, that He should change His mind’ (Numbers 23:19). And God has said, ‘I will never fail you. I will never forsake you’ (Hebrews 13:5).”


Father, how I thank and praise You for leading me to this passage this morning. “We know that we can’t make it all alone. But now we can stop being the victim. We can turn our life over to Someone who is really able to care for our needs.”


You are Father! You absolutely know what is best for each of us. Continue working Your will in, with, by, through and for us Most Holy God.


Reading one of the comments for this section tells us that this wilderness experience showed not only the faithlessness of the exodus generation, “but also the loving care of our sovereign God. Though the Israelites made numerous mistakes, God graciously led them to the Promised Land. Our life is also riddled with failures and sins, but God is still able and willing to lead us along the road to recovery.”


Yes Father! I believe this to be true.


I love You. I need You. There is so very much for me to learn. Do all that You must that we would come to glorifying and enjoying You as You so desire. Thank You Lord. Praise You. Amen.

(539 words ~ 8:58 a.m.)


No comments:

Post a Comment