Thursday, July 23, 2020

name calling

Thursday, July 23, 2020 (4:56 a.m.)

Holy God,


You don’t mess around, do You Lord?


I know I’ve needed to talk to You about my less than attractive habit of name calling and “Bam!” here You are. Taking me directly to Matthew 5:22. Not mincing any words.


“You’re familiar with the command to the ancients, ‘Do not murder.’ I’m telling you that anyone who is so much as angry with a brother or sister is guilty of murder. Carelessly call a brother ‘idiot!’ and you just might find yourself hauled into court. Thoughtlessly yell ‘stupid!’ at a sister and you are on the brink of hellfire. The simple moral fact is that words kill.”


Thank You Father! What I originally thought a harmless habit of muttering under my breath has gotten out of control. Yes Lord, all these years later and I am in way over my head.


Here again I look to You. Seeking Your grace. Asking that You would do in, with, by, through and for me all that I am unable on my own. 


Anger now comes easily. Impatience? Readily. Sullen silence almost automatically. This is not Your best for us Father. Do all You must to change that which I am unable. My heart longs to be freed from the contempt and disrespect it has been harboring for so long.


You are so good Father. Loving. Forgiving. Necessary.


I come to You. Truly broken. Seeking a complete overhaul. Asking that You would do all that only You are able. Changing my heart. From the very inside out.


Yes Father! ♪Change my heart, O God, Make it ever true. Change my heart, O God, May I be like You. You are the Potter, I am the clay; Mold me and make me, This is what I pray. Change my heart, O God…♪ Yes. I want to be like You.


Psalm 51:10-12. “Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a right spirit within me. Do not banish me from Your presence, and don’t take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me again the joy of Your salvation, and make me willing to obey You.” Oh yes, Blessed God!


The Life Recovery Bible comment for these verses ends with this Truth, “If we try to hide or deny our sins, we are in grave danger of judgment. But if we are sensitive to our sins and humbly seek God’s forgiveness, there is hope for us, no matter how great our past sins. God will remove any taint of guilt and restore our joy.”


Oh most dear and blessed God, this is truly what I seek. Your forgiveness. And restored joy.


I have been fumbling around in the dark for so long now. Do all You must to return me to Your right track. And pace. Empower me to live this day exactly as You would have me. With no malicious and negative name calling.


Let my new habit become that of calling on the name of the Lord. Yes. Yes. Oh yes!


An e-article by Bible for America states clearly, “After our initial salvation, by calling on Jesus we can continue to enjoy our full salvation in Christ. This includes daily salvation from many negative things, such as anger, depression, impatience, sadness, discouragement, and anxiety, to name a few.”


Wow God! Again I say, “You don’t mess around!”


As the article continues its teaching on the importance of making the “calling on the Lord’s dear name” a life-long practice we are reminded that when we do so, “we contact the Lord who is dwelling in our spirit as the life-giving Spirit. And when we call on Jesus, He saves us by imparting more of His divine life into us.”


Oh how desperately I am in need of Your divine life. Yes Lord. I am in such need!


“Christ wants us to enjoy His riches in our daily lives. Christ is rich to us when we call upon Him, He is rich to us as comfort, peace, love, hope, patience, kindness, endurance, longsuffering, strength, faith, and more - what riches are in His name!”


Oh, how I long to replace my horrible habit of crude, negative name muttering with truly calling on the name of Jesus. “Calling upon the Lord Jesus is like drawing refreshing water from a deep well that never runs dry. We receive Him as a fresh, satisfying supply. Our human spirit yearns for the pure riches we receive when we call on the Lord’s precious name.”


Mm, yes most blessed God! Make it so in me.


The more I read, the deeper my yearning. Introduced to a new to me hymn by John Newton I am AGOG by the corresponding Bible verses. Father how deeply I thank and praise You for Who and all You are!


♪How Sweet the Name of Jesus Sounds In a believer’s ear! It soothes his sorrows, heals his wounds, And drives away his fear. It makes the wounded spirit whole And calms the troubled breast; ’Tis manna to the hungry soul And to the weary, rest♪


Dearest Lord and Savior, You DO supply our every need! Thank and praise You.


Reading the abbreviated Scripture for this hymn in The Celebration Hymnal I am excited and eager to tell others what Your Truth has to offer. “To those who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ: Grace and peace to you. 1 Corinthians 1:2-3.”


Let this become my practice Lord! No more negative name muttering. Replace it with my true calling upon Your blessed name, “Jesus!”


Thank and praise You. I love You. Amen.

(946 words ~ 7:06 a.m.)


No comments:

Post a Comment