Tuesday, February 11, 2020

ever growing ~ 1/27/20

Monday, January 27, 2020 (Ship’s time 6:54 a.m.)
Cruising further south to Puerto Vallarta, MX
Holy God,

Yes. Dear and blessed and Holy God. Hmm. Dear. Blessed. Holy. Loved. The list of words that describe You is never ending. Ever growing. Thank You Father.

Thank You that as I look to Your Word, I read again of the influence that the apostle Paul had on those around him. Onesimus. Philemon. A list of names I believe continues growing to this very day. And onwards.

And right here is where I utter a profound “Wow!” To You. Mm, yes. You. Creator of the universe. Lover of our souls. “The only One who can rescue us completely” (The Life Recovery Bible’s book introduction for Colossians).

“We need God’s power to begin the healing in recovery. The same power that made salvation possible makes it possible for us to recover.” Oh yes most Dear and Blessed, Holy God! You provide us that very power. Through Jesus. Thank You.

“We can trust Christ to save us, and we can trust His power to help us with our struggles as we live each day as it comes.” Tell me more Dear Lord. Tell me more.

Paul wrote this letter to a church he had never visited. Sharing his knowledge that Jesus “is the only real source of power in our life.”

As I read his words of encouragement and practical advice, I take to heart the power of which he wrote. “Epaphras, our much loved co-worker… is the one who told us about the great love for others that the Holy Spirit has given you” (Colossians 1:7-8).

“So we have continued praying for you ever since we first heard about you. We ask God to give you a complete understanding of what He wants to do in your lives, and we ask Him to make you wise with spiritual wisdom” (v.9). Lord God, what would that look like?

“Then the way you live will always honor and please the Lord, and you will continually do good, kind things for others. All the while, you will learn to know God better and better” (10). Oh that I would dear Lord.

Paul and Timothy joined together in praying ‘strength with Your glorious power’ that the believers at Colosse would ‘have all the patience and endurance they needed; filled with joy’ (11). Always thanking You, Paul reminded them that You are who ‘enabled them to share the inheritance that belongs to Your holy people, who live in the light’ (12).

I just found myself laughing as I read a side-note to a Serenity Prayer discourse. “Many of us in recovery are learning to think and act in new ways. We may find it hard to recognize true wisdom, even when it’s staring us in the face.”

How long have I been actively seeking recovery Lord? Getting so close to truly knowing You. Only to go slip-sliding away again.

Holy God how I thank You that I believe Your love for each and every single one of us is ever growing. It is not static. There is no limit to Your loving kindness and forgiveness. Oh hallelujah, Lord! You are so good.

I read here of Freedom from Rules and New Life in Christ and find myself smiling again. Living the New Life (Chapter 3) speaks of having “been raised to new life in Christ” and setting our “sights on the realities of heaven.”

We are to let heaven fill our thoughts. Not thinking “only about things down here on earth” (v. 2b). As Paul commanded the Colossians to “put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within” (3a) them, his detailed list continues through verse nine.

Then we get the counterbalance of the new life! Starting in verse ten. “In its [evil nature's] place you have clothed yourselves with a brand-new nature that is continually [ever growing!] being renewed as you learn more and more about Christ, who created this new nature within you.”

Holy God, as I prepare to list these verses here, it is my deep desire that You would imprint them in my heart, soul, mind and strength (Mark 12:30). That I would have them ever at the ready for every distressful circumstance.

“Since God chose you to be the holy people whom He loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. You must make allowances for each other’s faults and forgive the person who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. And the most important piece of clothing you must wear is love. Love is what binds us all together in perfect harmony. And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are all called to live in peace. And always be thankful” (12-15).

The list doesn’t stop there Lord. As it continues, I find my hope and joy truly ever growing!

“Let the words of Christ, in all their richness, live in your hearts and make you wise. Use His words to teach and counsel each other. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. And whatever you do or say, let it all be as a representative of the Lord Jesus, all the while giving thanks through Him to God the Father” (16-17).

Oh I do give You thanks dear Lord!

There’s a verse that keeps coming to mind. It tells us that if we don’t love the person who is right in front of us that we can see, we can’t really love You Who we can’t see. 

And here it is! 1 John 4:20-21. Under the section titled, “Loving One Another” (vs. 7-21). Father I am asking You to work in me on this. I love You. And I want to love others (Mark 12:31) as You would have me love.

Use me this day I pray. Exactly as You know is best. Truly. Deeply. Authentically. Thank You. I love You. Amen.
(1,007 words ~ 8:05 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment