Sunday, August 12, 2018

goodness and mercy


Sunday, August 12, 2018 (6:19 a.m.)
Holy, Holy God,

Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Several times I woke up during my sleep. Each was greeted with either a Bible Truth or a song of praise. Thank You Father.

Psalm 23:6 is getting the bulk of my attention this morning. The various translations. So many different ways of saying the same Truth.

“Surely [truly, certainly, doubtless, yes, I know, only, indeed, for sure, I am sure]…” All that for the very first word. Thank You Father.

Thank You that as I read the many variations of this one verse I am experiencing an entirely different way of looking at it this morning. Having learned it as, “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever” I am amazed at what I have missed through the years.

The Message tells us, “Your beauty and love chase after me every day of my life.” Goodness and mercy translate to Your beauty and love? I’ve never considered that before.

Nor have I ever pondered them chasing after me. Following? Yes. Chasing after, never.

Finishing the verse [as well as the chapter] again I have an unfamiliar take. “I’m back home in the house of GOD for the rest of my life” feels quite different than “I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.”

Oh Blessed Father, for some reason the idea of being ‘back home in Your house for the rest of my life’ seems more appealing to me than “dwell[ing] in the house of the LORD forever.” Thank You for new ways to look at Your absolute, unchanging Truth.

And here is an even deeper thought. The Passion Translation. And not just verse 6. Oh Blessed God, thank You. Thank You. Thank You for the life giving, life saving Truth of Your Word.

Decades ago I was introduced to The Living Bible’s paraphrasing of verse one. “Because the Lord is my Shepherd, I have everything I need!” TRUTH! Absolute, amazing Truth!

And here again The Passion Translation (Psalm 23:1-6). “The Good Shepherd David’s poetic praise to God The Lord is my best friend and my shepherd. I always have more than enough… So why would I fear the future? For Your goodness and love pursue me all the days of my life. Then afterward, when my life is through, I’ll return to Your glorious presence to be forever with You!”

Mm. Father. Thank You. Praise You. Use me as You know is best. Sharing Your goodness and mercy with those I encounter. I love You. I need You. I want You. I ask You. Thank You. Amen.
(456 words ~ 8:04 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment