Monday, January 4, 2021

wallowing

 Friday, January 1, 2021 (7:43 a.m.)

Lake Arrowhead, CA

Blessed, Holy God,


I am confessing straight off, this morning I am feeling somewhat melancholy. Please know that I am absolutely aware of the blessings You provide. Beauty. Awe. Wonder. Relatively good health. Creature comforts. Adventure. You. Your love. Your Truth. Your promises.


And right here I get to smile again. Looking up the phrase “muddling through” I read both its definition and origin: “cope more or less satisfactorily despite lack of expertise, planning, or equipment.” I think that sums me up rather fairly.


Oh! It just got better! SO much better!!!


I bring You myself. Exactly as I am. And You ever so gently shift my thinking.


Knowing I want to experience the hope and joy You offer, You provide avenues to the Source of all joy. Jesus Christ, Himself!


Holy Father, I truly can never thank You enough. Every single time I start thanking and praising You, the more I find for which to be truly grateful.


Take the word wallow for instance. Associating it negatively as in 2 Peter 2:22 where “according to the true proverb (26:11) A dog returns to its own vomit, and ‘A washed sow returns to wallowing in the mud’” (Christian Standard Bible) I learn there is so much more here than meets the eye.


Here again I am confessing! Only this time to the genuine JOY You are providing me. How long has it been since my heart has felt this freed to experience being truly AGOG [excited and eager to tell] with You? Thank You Lord!


I am not ignoring the misery and heartbreak that surrounds so many. Every single day with news seemingly worse than the day before. BUT GOD…!


Yes! Truly. “But God” is still in control. You are still on Your throne (Psalm 47:8). Thank You. Praise You. Use me this day. Exactly as You alone know is best.


When I came to You with feelings of melancholia, You led me instead to seeing myself as muddling along. Looking into the origin, the reference is “Late Middle English (in the sense ‘wallow in mud’).”


And right here is where the excitement comes in! A change in my own understanding (Proverbs 3:5-6). Holy God, thank and praise You!


My whole life I have ALWAYS associated wallowing as a negative expression. This morning I read that we can wallow in water. Not just mud. AND… while it does mean “to roll about” it can also depict “lying relaxed”; indulging “in an unrestrained way in (something that creates a pleasurable sensation).”


Truly Father, if I am going to wallow in anything today, let it be in thoughts of You! Your love. Your goodness. Your mercy. Your grace.


Do in, with, by, through and for me all that You know is best. I love You. I long to worship and adore You. Glorifying and enjoying You forever. Beginning today. This first day of this brand new year. Make it me count as only You can.


I love You. I need You. I want You. I thank You. Use me. Amen.


(520 words ~ 8:57 a.m.)


No comments:

Post a Comment