Thursday, January 14, 2021

"the heart of a giant killer"

 Thursday, January 14, 2021 (6:01 a.m.)

Holy God,


There is so very much we don’t know. Fear is my first instinct. Followed by withdrawing. Hiding. Not wanting to come out.


So, here I am. Once again turning to You. Asking to be led. By You.


You are our Shepherd. Because You are, we have everything we need (Psalm 23:1). Illustrated Bible Handbook tells us, “This famous Shepherd Psalm likens God to a good shepherd, who guides and supports the believer through his life.”


Oh Dear Lord, we need Your guidance. And support. Desperately.


Again, I’m here. Asking. Seeking. Knocking (Matthew 7:7). Your will. Your way. FAITH over fear. Trusting and believing rather than trembling and cowering.


I love You Lord. And I thank You. Turning to The Passion Translation I am getting to learn more about this favored psalm.


Saying that, I am reminded of having just become aware of the difference between being taught something and actually learning it. I want to know Your Truth Dearest Lord. To know that I know that I know… all that I say I believe.


You are good! You care for us. You want to give us rest.


Quoting the comment in The Life Recovery Bible, “God is our shepherd, and He knows what we need even better than we do. God wants us to have what is best for us. As long as we make Him our shepherd, He will lead us to places of safety.”


This is Truth for which I long. I waste so much time being fearful and afraid. Shrinking back instead of standing firm. Have Your way Dear Lord. Leading. Guiding. Directing. Protecting.


Reading footnotes from The Passion Translation I find myself heartened. Encouraged.

(12:39 p.m.)


And here we are all these hours later. All items checked off my “to do” list. And the big bugaboo [Christmas decorations] still all over the house.


Father God, this is what I have been alluding to with You for days. My inability to develop a workable dismantle and storage plan. It all seems so trite to me. “Other people” seemingly have no problem getting this job done.


And then the comparisons start in my head. THANK YOU that Your Word speaks Truth to satan’s tricks! Galatians 6:4, “Be sure to do what you should, for then you will enjoy the personal satisfaction of having done your work well, and you won’t need to compare yourself to anyone else.”


Thank You God. Thank You God. Thank You. God. You know Your best for me. Your Word IS what’s best for me!


I get to read It. And take It to heart. Praise You Lord.


You let us rest in green meadows and lead us beside peaceful streams (Psalm 23:2). You renew our strength (v. 3a). Guiding us along right paths, bringing honor to Your name.


Now, the above mentioned footnote. The Passion Translation. Oh but first, the actual verses (2 and 3). “He [YOU!] offers a resting place for me in His luxurious love. His tracks take me to an oasis of peace, the quiet brook of bliss. That’s where He restores and revives my life. He opens before me pathways to God’s pleasure and leads me along in His footsteps of righteousness so that I can honor His name.”


It IS Your name I long to honor, Lord!


Even as I read this, I’m reminded of the pressures I place on myself. What all this self-flagellation is just that? Self induced. Not from You. Hmmm…


Your Word (Matthew 11:28) tells me that I can come to You and You will give me rest. Yes. In Your luxurious love.


Let me change my approach with You Lord. Instead of hedging around, let me just ask. I want a plan. Of how best to put away all the items we use to remind us of Your Son’s blessed birth.


I love You Lord. The footnote I keep referencing tells us that in other translations You ‘leading me along in Your footsteps of righteousness’ is also presented as “circular paths of righteousness.”


Continuing, “It is a common trait for sheep on the hillsides of Israel to circle their way up higher. They eventually form a path that keeps leading them higher. That is what David is referring to here. Each step we take following our Shepherd will lead us higher, even though it may seem we are going in circles.” This is me asking (Matthew 7:7) You to keep leading me higher Lord. 


David had “the heart of a giant killer” (TPT footnote for verse 1). I want one too. Do all You must to that end. Thank You. Praise You. I love You. Amen.

(793 words ~ 2:06 p.m.)


No comments:

Post a Comment