Thursday, May 11, 2017

until it was safe

Thursday, May 11, 2017 (6:30 a.m.)
Holy God,

Thank You for the perfect example of a healthy family relationship I got to watch in my own backyard yesterday. Mm, yes. Thank You!

First there was a great deal of squawking. More than enough to get my attention. Stopping dead in my tracks, I just stood and watched.

Blessed Father God, thank You for the lessons on family dynamics I received through this experience. A mama and daddy California Scrub Jay relentlessly protecting their baby. Mm, yes. Thank You again.

The day before I had witnessed what I believe to be the same two birds screeching and somewhat dive bombing out near our yuccas. Again I stopped to watch. That's when I saw the huge black cat slinking along the top of the wall.

Yesterday it was me that was seen as the threat. Unbeknownst to myself, one of the pair's younglings was resting in the bird of paradise I was preparing to trim.

Dearest Dad, thank You that even as I refer to You here as Dad and Father I got to see first hand the protective role a male bird takes in nature. It wasn't just the mama bird out there keeping her baby safe. Nuh-uh. The daddy was right there as well.

Me, not being the picture taker of the family, truly wanted to record this whole interaction for future reference. I was shocked at the distance they gave their young one.

Busying myself with other very nearby work, the parents evidently didn't see me as a threat. They both flew off. Seemingly out of sight. Oh, but let me get too close and “Squawk!” they were both back there in an instant.

And all the while the baby just sat and watched (Psalm46:10). Until it was safe!

Little did I know that it was my close proximity that was causing it to stay hidden so still in the foliage. The moment I left the area, out it came. Rustling the vegetation and flapping itself up into the much more protective area of the yucca.

All this done with the encouraging calls of the parents. I marveled at the way this offspring was given such freedom to explore. While at the very same time being so protected.

You do this for us! You encourage us to venture out. All the while keeping us perfectly away from harm. Blessed, Holy Father God, I confess to You right now I rarely trust You that much. I hedge. Hem. Haw. Wait. Stall.

Instead Dearest God, let me come to know You as my hedge! I tend to waffle. Waver. Sit and wait. Embolden and empower me to have the faith I saw in that baby bird yesterday. Yes. Sit and wait, until it is safe. And then take flight!

Oh most blessed God, how I thank You for sending me my own personal sermon yesterday. Right here. In my own backyard. Let me use it well this day. As the perfect example of my own safety in You.

Thank You Daddy God. I love You. Amen.
(513 words ~ 8:23 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment