Wednesday, December 9, 2020

transported to hope

 Wednesday, December 9, 2020 (6:43 a.m.)

Holy God,


Refusing. Hiding. Ignoring. Shunning. These are the words that best describe me right now. I know I am to “give thanks in all things and rejoice in You always” (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18) so I turn to You and Your Word.


There is such controversy. Conflicts. Differing opinions. Out and out lies. Lord, we need You. Desperately!


Thank You Father. Yes. Thank You for Your Word. Reading 1 Thessalonians 5 in The Message, I am again transported to hope. How deeply I thank You for words written millennia before that still hold Your Truth today.


I’m not going to claim to understand any of what is going on around us, but I stand strong as I lean heavily on Paul’s words to the believers in Thessalonica. He cautioned them that “the Master’s coming can’t be posted on our calendars. He won’t call ahead and make an appointment any more than a burglar would” (v. 2).


“About the time everybody’s walking around complacently, congratulating each other - ‘We’ve sure got it made! Now we can take it easy!’ suddenly everything will fall apart. It’s going to come as suddenly and inescapably as birth pangs to a pregnant woman” (v.3).


Father, thank You that I can bring my own disheartened spirit before You and find hope in Your Truth. The instructions You gave Paul to pass on to Your believers then remain valid to this day.


Having originally turned to this section of Scripture because of verses 16-18, it’s 13-15 that are speaking loudly to me. Lord God, I ask You to empower, embolden and enable me to put into action all that is speaking so profoundly to my heart.


“Get along among yourselves, each of you doing your part. Our counsel is that you warn the freeloaders to get a move on. Gently encourage the stragglers, and reach out for the exhausted, pulling them to their feet. Be patient with each person, attentive to individual needs. And be careful that when you get on each other’s nerves you don’t snap at each other. Look for the best in each other, and always do your best to bring it out” (13-15).


Oh, how I ask You to teach me in this. Accomplish in, with, by, through and for me all that I cannot on my own.


I absolutely need Your Spirit in fulfilling Paul’s call to “Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God now matter what happens. This is the way God wants you who belong to Christ Jesus to live” (16-18).


I look to You to do all You must. I love You Lord. Thank You. Amen.


(450 words ~ 9:12 a.m.)


No comments:

Post a Comment