Sunday, December 13, 2020

parade of emotions

Sunday, December 13, 2020 (6:42 a.m.)

Blessed, Holy God,


You are good. Merciful. Gracious. Eternal. Loving. Kind. Giving. Real. Unchanging. Forever faithful.


Psalm 48:14. "For that is what God is like. He is our God forever and ever, and He will be our guide until we die." Don Moen’s ♪God Will Make A Way♪


And here I finally say, “Thank You.” With a huge smile. Yes Father, thank You!


The thoughts in my head seem to be endless. Rabbit trails. Bird walks. Pinballs. You name it, my mind will take me in at least ten different directions all at one time.


Thank You God that You are so much bigger than my thoughts. Isaiah 55:8. I get to turn to You anytime I want. Latch on to Your Truth. Look deeper into Your promise. Allow You to right my thinking. Give credence to my hopes and dreams.


Right here I am going to stop myself and confess my unwillingness to readily hope or dream. How’s that for “let’s be honest”? In these very uncertain times of rising COVID numbers, distrust in government, doubt, fear... I find it so much easier to keep my head down. Don’t wish. Don’t hope. Don’t want. And don’t be disappointed.


Clearly THAT’s no way to live the day! The day that You have made (Psalm 118:24). The one of which I woke up singing hours ago.


Lord God, I love You. I trust You. And on that note I again confess my reluctance, my reticence of getting my hopes up. So once more I turn my thoughts back to that parade of emotions You provided me throughout the night.


The ups and downs. The twists and turns. The thoughts of death defying roller coasters [Cyclone Racer at The Pike, Long Beach, CA]. And a pop song from 1962 that sings of it all ♪Down at Palisades Park


Lord God, my mind takes me all over the place. Seemingly all at the same time. I rather have You lead and guide me to the thoughts, words and actions that will represent and glorify Your mercy and Your grace.


This particular year, with every single bit of uncertainty and turmoil, is no more outside of Your realm of protection than are Your blessings. We have Your Word to stand and depend upon. Thank You Lord.


I turn to Proverbs 18:10. Psalm 5:8, 11; 91; 121:1, 2; Colossians 3:3; Romans 10:17. Back again to Psalms. 25:4. And this is where I begin singing once more.


Starting with verses 1 and 2. ♪Unto Thee O Lord, do I lift up my soul… Oh my God, I trust in Thee, Let me not be ashamed Let not mine enemies triumph over me♪


Thinking again of that rickety old roller coaster of the past, I feel myself settle into You. Choosing to trust and believe in You I sense myself give in to Your promises.


Thank You God that You are so much bigger than all of my greatest fears. You created us each with free will. So we could actively choose You.


Your Word (Deuteronomy 30:19) tells us to “Choose life!” And I do. Not one of fear. But of FAITH. “Forsaking All I Trust Him” Steady my shaky legs (Hebrews 12:12) that I would truly “stand firm” on Your Word.


Turning back over to The Life Recovery Bible comment for Psalm 25:1-7 we are reminded, “When we place our faith in God we can trust Him to care for us and help us overcome the things in our life that would destroy us.” Things like COVID. And fear. And doubt. I am asking You ‘to show me how to live according to Your Truth.’


Whether I’m singing about ♪My heart flyin’ like a rocket ship Down like a roller coaster Back like a loop the loop And around like a merry go round♪ or this being the day that You have made, I’m asking You to ♪make a way Where there seems to be no way You work in ways we cannot see You will make a way for me♪


I believe this Lord. Because I choose to. This parade of emotions may very well continue, and I just smiled with a bit of a laugh as I caught the image of You leading it. Do all You must with me Lord. In, for, by and through me. I love You. I thank You. Use me. Amen.

(729 words ~ 9:29 a.m.)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment