Thursday, October 30, 2014

chance glance

Saturday, October 25, 2014 (6:20 a.m)
Holy Father,

Thank You! You have NOT let me get away from this name. Delilah. First and still frequently in the form of the pop song from 1968. A song I just recently heard with very different ears.

Father, forgive me for never before paying attention to the words of brutal murder brought on by a jealous rage. Where was I in my own thinking that I never really noticed the horror of it all?

Forgive me too for not bringing my thoughts and feelings to You before now. I've looked around on it. Tried desperately to change songs every time it starts in my mind. With it seemingly getting louder and more insistent I bring it to You asking what is it You'd like me to consider?

Thank You for the eagerness with which I came out here to look deep into Your Word. Thank You for that chance glance out the front window that actually took me outside into the fairly early morning. Thank You for the beauty that is to be found all around us when we are willing to heed Your call to us.

Father, I love You. My thoughts travel. I get sidetracked often. But the Truth of Your love for each of us always brings me back to sitting before You. Asking. Seeking. Knocking. Wanting to know and be more.

Mm, yes. I want to be more of the woman You created me to be. I know myself to be one who loves deeply. Ah, but with such limitations. Prejudices. Biases. Conditions. What I really want is to become that woman who speaks of You often. Freely. Openly. Lovingly.

I turn right now to Paul's second letter to the church at Corinth, all the while thinking that I want to know and practice this more and more. Thank You that here again I am reminded of the importance of admitting my own powerlessness to change my behaviors. Thank You for Your willingness and ability to do in and with, by and through me all the things I can't do on my own.

Yesterday was a huge example. The extended period of resting and reading I thought of pure self indulgence ending up yielding the energy needed for exercise in the form of dog walking, neighbor visiting, lawn mowing, chicken soup making and recovery program assistance offering. All begun and done after 5:00 p.m. You did that. Effortlessly through me. Thank You!

Another example of Your work is this current opportunity I have of going outside into the cool and colorful morning. It's been quite sometime since I've been this excited and awestruck by the break of day. Thank You Father for the chance to glance all of this.

Now, as we settle in to work together are You wanting me over in Judges with the story of Samson and Delilah? Or here in 2 Corinthians? I'm putting it right out there for You to decide and guide.

And where do I end up? Reading about Love in a devotional (Life Recovery Bible) for Revelation 3:14-22. Here I get to be reminded [as I was in 2Corinthians 13:13] of the importance of staying connected to Your unconditional love. I am to listen to Your Spirit (v. 22) and love others just as Jesus has loved me (John 13:34).

Truly, I can do none of this on my own. I need You. I hear You calling (Revelation 3:20) and I do open the door. Please come in and eat with me. I love You. I want You. I thank You. Amen.
(601 words ~ 8:23 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment