Monday, January 7, 2013

the GIFT


Monday, January 7, 2013 (9:37 a.m.)
Blessed Father God,
I'm finding it hard to stay focused. I started a different prayer to You and I keep leaving it to go look up information on someone else. I met interesting people last night. Incredibly interesting people. And I confess to being more than just a light bit 'starstruck'.
Father, You provided for me an incredibly rich and fulfilling Twelve Days of Christmas, culminating with yesterday's GIFT from which I continue reeling. Such an incredible time that my head and emotions are still swimming.
Bea [I got no further than this before the tears started] r with me here as I try to remember it all and put it in order.
Your GIFT to me on this day of Epiphany began with a toddler in the pak-n-play crib of his “room” [more commonly known as the walk in portion of a closet] mournfully calling out for his mom in the predawn, early morning hours. More sleep was had before he fully delighted us with his play and laughter.
The GIFT continued as I heard laughter ring through the condo we shared with our growing family. Real, unrehearsed, genuine laughter over something funny that had either just happened or was being remembered.
Then it was time for packing up and leaving. But not before the annual signing of a treasured book and the impromptu reading of The Gift of the Magi [by O. Henry, of all names].
Oh Father, what a GIFT! Taking the time to stop all kitchen work, sitting down with a cup of coffee, fully enjoying and being a part of those gathered closely together, hearing the story as if for the first time and freely sharing our tears with one another. You blessed us Father. You really, truly blessed us!
One third of the family safely descended the mountain, leaving the rest of us to take our time and do what needed to be done. But not before another part of the GIFT. A son's invitation to his mom to put on her snow bibs right then and go sledding.
Which reminds me of another key portion of Your gracious GIFT to me yesterday. Freshly falling snow!!!
Father, I honestly, truthfully cannot remember a more perfect day! Start to finish such glorious, generous aspects of provision on Your part. Thank You!
Now, back to sledding. Such laughter ringing down the slope. Three quick runs on a borrowed, breaking, red plastic sled. Unprecedented, shear delight! Completely out of my character. Thank You for continuing to add joy to Your GIFT of yesterday.
Two more safe car trips down a beautiful snow falling mountain. Home to change gears and venture out into completely new territory for us. An organ concert at the Walt Disney Hall with a heartfelt invitation to hang out afterwards behind the organ with the builder, the artist, his beloved parents and many friends.
Father, truly it was a day unlike any I can remember. From start to finish, You were there in every aspect of it. If this is what it is to celebrate the day of the Magi, sign us up to do it again!
Thank You for the opportunity to share so much with so many. Continue teaching me what it really means to share Your GIFT with others. I love You so much. And I long to serve You so very much better than I do. Work in me to make it so. Thank You Father. I love You. Amen.
(583 words ~ 11:17 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment