Thursday, January 10, 2013

Settle me down


Thursday, January 10, 2013 (10:06 a.m.)
Awesome Father,
I'm a little shaky this morning. I've already made some mistakes. Forgotten things. Not done others. Settle me down. Ah, yes. Settle me down!
Luke 10:38-42. Mary and Martha. Priorities. I am preparing to re-enter every day life. There is one more upcoming short trip followed by many weeks of 'regular time'. My head is off somewhere. Thinking beyond to what comes next. Settle me down, Lord.
“In the home of some of His followers, two sisters respond differently to Jesus. One is distracted by all the work that must be done to prepare for Jesus' visit: the other sits at Jesus' feet and listens to what He says. Mary, the listener, has 'chosen what is better'.” (Illustrated Bible Handbook)
These five verses speak volumes of my approach to Your presence in my life. Far too often I am distracted by the details of everyday to fully appreciate and hear all You have to say. Jesus, thank You for reminding of my need to settle down at Your feet and listen as You talk.
“But Martha was the jittery type and was worrying over the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, 'Sir, doesn't it seem unfair to You that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me'” (Luke 10:40). I read this and see myself. “She came to Jesus and...” COMPLAINED!
Blessed Father, so many times that is me. Martha. “But the Lord said to her, 'Martha, dear friend, you are so upset over these details! There is really only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it – and I won't take it away from her!'” (vs. 41-42).
Here I am. Sitting. Asking to hear You. The Life Recovery Bible comment shares wonderful insight. “Martha was so busy 'doing for others' that she had no time or energy left for simply being with Jesus... In all her doing, Martha became irritated at Mary for not being equally busy.” Loving Lord, I ask You to guide me in my busy-ness. Keep me focused on the things that will bring You glory and honor.
We have a friend that is hurting. Fragile. In desperate need of YOU! Your guidance. Your friendship. Your deliverance. How I ask You to 'bless him and watch over him; smile on him and be kind to him; look on him with favor and give him peace' (Numbers 6:24-26 GOD'S WORD).
Father God, we have learned through the years that being with You is our only hope in this life. We want to share this Truth with all we encounter. Thank You for settling me down to the point of remembering that in our daily quest of putting “first things first”; YOU are by far our First, our Last, our Everything.
Thank You Father. Thank You Son. Thank You Holy Spirit. It is only in and with and by and through You that we have the faith, hope and love it takes to even be able to say, “Thank You.”
Be with me today as I go out to make the decisions of keeping and letting go of things. I want You to be glorified through my choices and my actions. Empower me to enjoy this process as I seek to glorify and enjoy You forever. Thank You for loving us and taking the much needed time to be with me this morning. I love You so very much. Thank You. Amen.
(592 words ~ 12:12 p.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment