Thursday, January 10, 2013

gardening


Wednesday, January 9, 2013 (9:54 a.m.)
Master Gardener,
I am in desperate need of pruning. I have some seriously disturbing thoughts and attitudes that would be better served by lopping them off. My line of thinking will NOT yield good fruit (John 15:2). Do a mighty work in me I pray.
(10:48 a.m.)
Still I'm grumbling more than praising. Walking around, looking for other things that need doing. Help me stay right here with You Most Holy Father God.
I love You. I long to glorify and enjoy You. Put my head back where it belongs. Thinking of ALL the things I have for which to be grateful. Your goodness. Your grace. Your kindness. And mercy. Thank You Father. Thank You that rather than running around trying to figure out a way to change how I am feeling, I truly am bringing it all right straight to You.
Thank You for this opportunity. Thank You that You love each one of us so very much that You sent Jesus to be our True Vine (John 15:1). Provide exactly what is needed for me to 'Take care to live in Him, and let Him live in me. For a branch can't produce fruit when severed from the vine. Nor can I be fruitful apart from Him' (v. 4).
I am feeling especially overwhelmed right now. I've fallen back to being much too hard on myself. There's less laughter. More critical thoughts. A negativity that I try to ignore. Rather than continue in that vein, I'm coming to You asking that You will 'tend me by pruning me back for greater strength and usefulness by means of the commands Jesus gave His disciples' (v. 3).
Obeying Jesus' commands to “love each other as much as I love you” (v.12) is impossible in and of myself. Staying connected to Him, and oh! Would You just look at this...
Verse 11. Preceded first by His words (verses 9 and 10), “I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Live within my love. When you obey Me you are living in My love, just as I obey My Father and live in His love.”
Here is the fruit of our time together, found in verse eleven. “I have told you this so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your cup of joy will overflow!”
I may not be feeling especially joyful at this very moment. But this verse reminds me that I am indeed on the right track. I will continue 'making myself at home with Jesus and His words will be at home in me' (v. 10, The Message). Mm, at home. Thank You for being right here, at home with me, right now. I love You so much. Thank You for being our Master Gardner. Thank You. Amen.
(471 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment