Saturday, September 8, 2012

pride


Saturday, September 8, 2012 (6:32 a.m.)
Oh, Most Blessed, Blessed Father,
Talk to me this day about pride. I recognized it in myself yesterday and it wasn’t the least bit attractive. Especially up against a four year old.
Oh, Father God, I confess to You the senselessness of it all. I truly thought I could distract a child’s physical pain and redirect it back to the fun being had just moments before. I absolutely heard the request to be comforted by another and I completely disregarded the plea, thinking I knew best.
“First pride, then the crash – the bigger the ego, the harder the fall” (Proverbs 16:18). Ouch. Ouch. And ouch again! Father God, I HATE getting it wrong! Especially when others feelings of safety are at stake.
“A haughty spirit”, “arrogance”, “proud thoughts”… ARGH! So unattractive.
(8:58 a.m.)
Some time taken for more rest and here I am reading Proverbs 16 in its entirety. “We can make our plans, but the final outcome is in God’s hands” (v. 1). “We can always ‘prove’ that we are right, but is the Lord convinced?” (2). Verse three has me sitting up taking special notice. “Commit your work to the Lord, then it will succeed.”
Father. I confess. I don’t even know how to do that! I often think that’s what I’m doing only to realize I’ve gone off again ahead of You. Verse nine would work out wonderfully if I could let it. “We should make our plans – counting on God to direct us.”
Hmm… what would that look like? I have a little one coming here soon. I know MY plans. How much better if I were able to follow Your direction.
Ever so humbly I am asking You most dear and blessed Father, keep my pride out of the way of Your leading. Let me be perfectly in tune to Your plan for this day. “God blesses those who obey Him; happy the man who puts his trust in the Lord” (v.20). Do in and with and through and for me all that I am incapable of doing myself.
I love You. I long to glorify and enjoy You forever. Beginning now. Thank You. Amen.
(367 words ~ 9:16 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment