Wednesday, September 26, 2012

"Hello"


Wednesday, September 26, 2012 (6:01 a.m.)
Sweet Jesus,
Good morning. Hello. I am chiding myself because the most I've got for you this morning is a simple “Hello”. Yet even this seems enough in the scheme of things.
I bring You a simple basic word and You bless me many times over. Romans 16. Paul sent personal greetings of “Hello” to many at the close of his letter to the church of Rome. And in the midst of them is a warning with a snippet of hope that leads to his final prayer. All this I found because the only thing I could muster for You this morning is this simple “Hello”.
Holy Jesus, thank You. Thank You that what I have to offer You leads to these words of counsel. In verse 17 we're called to “Keep a sharp eye out for those who take bits and pieces of the teaching... and then use them to make trouble.” We're told, “They have no intention of living for our Master Christ. They're only in it for what they can get out of it, and aren't above using pious sweet talk to dupe unsuspecting innocents” (18).
He goes on encouraging them (19b-20a) “I want you also to be smart, making sure every 'good' thing is the real thing. Don't be gullible in regard to smooth-talking evil. Stay alert like this, and before you know it the God of peace will come down on Satan with both feet, stomping him into the dirt.”
And here was my “Aha!”. Verse 20b, “Enjoy the best of Jesus!” I've read translations that say, “The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you” and thought warm, fuzzy thoughts. The idea of enjoying the best of You? Whole different ball game!
Most blessed and holy One, I confess this current storm that continues tossing my thoughts and feelings about. How I thank You that right in the midst when all I could think to say was, “Hello” You brought me right, straight to Romans 16.
“All of our praise rises to the One who is strong enough to make you strong, exactly as preached in Jesus Christ” (25a). “All our praise is focused through Jesus on this incomparably wise God! Yes!” (27)
All I had was a “Hello” and You used it mightily. Thank You Jesus. Use me mightily for Your good this day I pray. I love You. I thank You. Amen.
(408 words ~ 7:43 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment