Sunday, September 9, 2012

exercising faith muscles


Sunday, September 9, 2012 (7:01 a.m.)
Most Holy Father God,
Thank You! I don’t know if I’m here to talk to You about finishing business. Forgiveness. Blame. Or the long way to Tipperary
Whatever it is, I’m asking that You would take the lead and I’ll follow. Funny how the pride talking we did together yesterday hit me later in the evening as I was plotting revenge and making one pay.
Hence my wondering, what do You have for me this morning? I awoke singing about the distance to Tipperary, wondering where in the world that tune came from. Second line into the ditty I read ‘the streets were paved with gold’ and immediately thought of the main street of Your New Jerusalem (Revelation 21:21).
Still I ask You Father, where do I go with all my disjointed thoughts and feelings this morning? Yesterday we hit such a rough patch of blaming and miscommunication. We sank so easily back into the patterns of old. To behaviors that have never served us well.
So Lord as I once again consider the distance to Tipperary show me where in Your Word You would have it take me. Colossians 2:5, thank You Father.
While he was in prison in Rome, the apostle Paul wrote to the people in Corinth to show us that Christ is the only real source of power in our life. We found that out again here just yesterday! “I’m a long way off, true, and you may never lay eyes on me, but believe me, I’m on your side, right beside you. I am delighted to hear of the careful and orderly ways you conduct your affairs, and impressed with the solid substance of your faith in Christ.”
I don’t have to tell You how far from careful and orderly we were in conducting our affairs yesterday. Nor could anyone have been impressed with what did not come anywhere near resembling a solid substance of faith in Christ.
Dearest Father, again I confess to still being the person whose spirit is so easily broken by circumstances. Talk about the need to exercise one’s faith muscles!
All the confessing and rambling and confessing again yields Your Truth [and just a few tears J] once more. Luke 17:1-10, Teachings about Forgiveness and Faith. The Recovery Principal Devotional running right along side in The Life Recovery Bible has much to say about the importance of faith.
“How many times have we wished the we could overcome the addictions and compulsions that keep us in bondage? We know what it is to struggle with the effects of addiction and the craziness this brings to our life. We may feel despair and wonder if there really is any way out of the insanity of our current circumstances. Maybe our plight is impossible, at least without God’s help, but faith can make even the impossible happen.”
This section goes on to quote Jesus’ answer to His disciples’ request for more faith (vs. 5-6) followed by even more words concerning faith. “Faith is a mysterious commodity. Jesus says that if we have faith, real faith, it only takes a small amount to make a big difference. We may be exercising faith without even realizing it. It takes faith to believe that a Power greater than ourself could restore us to sanity. It takes faith to work through the steps of a recovery program. It is comforting to know that God only needs a tiny bit of faith in order to work in powerful ways to restore our sanity.”
So most dear and blessed Father, just as I’m preparing to leave here knowing my heart is still filled with unforgiveness, SMACK! You get me again. The Illustrated Bible Handbook on these very same verses.
Forgiveness No Option. Jesus tells His disciples that they are to extend unlimited forgiveness to each other (1-4). They are shaken by what they view as a difficult command and beg for more faith (5). Jesus corrects them. Faith is for moving mountains (6). Those who are servants, and hear their master’s command, have only duty (7-10). This matter of forgiving is not a matter for faith but for obedience. Forgiveness has been commanded by our Lord.”
Oh Blessed Lord, forgive me for being unforgiving. It truly IS a long way to Tipperary! I am nowhere near obedience!
“Create in me a new, clean heart, O God, filled with clean thoughts and right desires” (Psalm 51:10). Even with all the right words being said and hoped for, I keep feeling the bitterness well up. Help me exercise my faith muscles Dearest Father. As well as those of obedience! I love You. I want to serve You so much better than I currently do. Thank You. Amen.
(775 words ~ 8:59 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment