Sunday, March 12, 2023

Christian thinkers

 Sunday, March 12, 2023 (7:09 a.m.)

Blessed Holy God,


Thank You! You are good. Great. Glorious. Gracious. And I am grateful.


I confess to my mind jumping all over the place. The time change. Waking up with the song ♪Him♪ Thinking of You immediately as the ♪Him, Him, Him♪ mentioned in the lyrics. It has yet to make any sense to me at all.


Thank You that I get to bring confused thoughts before You. All the while regarding You as good. Great. Glorious. And gracious.


The word “divine” has been coming up quite a bit recently. In reference to You.


Father. Here I take another turn. Living in this present era with much discussion of gender neutrality I recognize even more confusion in my thinking.


Christian thinkers through the millennia have shared various findings on the matter of all You are:


infinite and outside of human limitations like time and space, this kind of God is really difficult to articulate


transcendent, holy, and not subject to the limitations of gender. Male and female were both created in His image, which means that both masculine and feminine qualities can be reflections of God’s character… beyond our comprehension, but still worth our pursuit.


“…remember God as the Redeemer and Creator and Lover of our souls… see God on a much larger spectrum than most of us do… divine revelation…God, in other words, calls the theological shots. If He wants to be understood primarily in masculine terms, then that is how we should speak of Him. To do otherwise, is tantamount to idolatry—fashioning God in our image, rather than receiving from Him His self-disclosure as the Father.” …merely humans taking an imaginative swing at discovering God’s nature…we have only our own colorful, creative yet merely human descriptions of what we purport to be our experiences of the divine…Exploring whether a masculine imagination of God is a problem challenges us to keep seeking and finding who God is, a process which is at the heart of the Christian life.

(8:18 a.m.)


Even in getting ready to address You as “Father” just now I paused. Hesitated. Wondering about the various beliefs I have accepted through the years. Only because it’s what I was taught.


I am comforted in learning that I am far from the first to have these questions. While readily embracing You as “Father” I ask (Matthew 7:7) You to continue leading and guiding my thoughts. Beliefs. Understanding.

(9:07 a.m.)


Yes! Again the automatic “Father” gives way to “God.” “Lord.” And still my thoughts go immediately to thinking of You as far more masculine than feminine.


Keep reminding me that I am to trust in YOU with all my heart. Not leaning on my own understanding. In all my ways acknowledging You and You will direct my path (Proverbs 3:5-6).


Yes Lord. Even Bible scholars and translators [other Christian thinkers] differ on their beliefs and understanding. The various versions of Psalm 8:4 represent this.


Simply saying “Father” to You opens up a whole new-to-me train of thought. I want to know You more. Better. Freer. Trusting You to lead and guide me in all things.


You. Time. Gender neutrality. It all confounds me. And again my mind sings out in wonder.


♪Him, Him, Him, What’s she gonna do about Him?♪


Worship and adore You is my first response! Make it so that my obedience far exceeds my understanding. I love, need, trust and want You. In all of my confused thinking, You remain good. Great. Glorious. And gracious.


Live in, with, by, through and for me this day. Using me as You alone know is best. Questions, wonders, doubts and all. Thank You. Praise You. Amen.


(6:31 words ~ 10:15 a.m.)


No comments:

Post a Comment