Thursday, June 18, 2020

the gist

Thursday, June 18, 2020 (5:17 a.m.)
Holy, Holy, Holy God,

Thank You!

You blessed me yesterday. Beyond my wildest dreams.
(5:56 a.m.)

And just like that, another song started singing. Although I had one word wrong the gist remains the same.

Hmm… the gist. Essence. Substance. Central theme. Heart of the matter. The list continues. All the way to: drift, sense, meaning, significance, import.

Yesterday I experienced the gist of having held on to my parent’s home all these years. Pulling weeds, surveying all that surrounded me, I was stunned to “see” my father’s vision in one area of the yard.

Clarity continued coming as I “heard” again the disdain in my parents voices as they spoke to one another. Right there in that very moment I realized why this past week of discord with my own husband had been so excruciatingly hard for me.

We had fallen back into that horrible trap from which we both were raised. We were loving each other much. Not well.

Oh most dear and Holy Father God, how I thank You for Your Word. Thank You for Your Truth. Thank You for Your Son. And for the presence of Your Holy Spirit.

I call on You today

I didn’t even get the words out of my heart before You answered. A song deep in my soul. From so many years ago.

♪For Such a Time As This♪ by Crystal Lewis. How perfect that the word cry is in her name because that’s exactly what I did. Sobbed, actually!

♪I built my house here long side this mountain This rugged mountain that stands so tall I’ve had a good life above the lowlands It’s more than I asked for but less than I dreamed I’ve often heard a voice call down to me If you’d climb higher you’d find wondrous things to see But the way is steep and a storm may come♪

And that’s where I usually bail! When the going gets tough, my pattern is to quit. This current COVID-19 changing of our norms has been challenging to say the least. And freeing at the same time.

Here again I am thanking You Lord. Thank You for the struggles. And thank You for the growth that is coming as a result of those struggles.

♪I’ve been content to not ask those questions That stir the rivers, that move the waves The windless waters are so much more peaceful They calm my spirit in silent song I’ve often wondered what’s eluding me The yearning meant to free me from complacency

♪For such a time as this Isn’t much too great a risk I’ve never flown from the edge of a cliff Never walked on the water But if I turn away How will I know what I have missed Have I waited all of my life For such a time as this♪

The chorus continues after this truth filled line. ♪Sometimes the thrill of soaring had to begin with the fear of falling♪

Yep. That’s pretty much the gist of it isn’t it Lord? “Risks versus benefits!”

Thank You Father for speaking Your Truth to us in so many ways. Your Word. Music. Memories.

Now, back to that first song of the day. Aaron Lines. ♪Well I’ve got a thousand reasons to smile these days I’ve got a thousand great memories that I can’t replace But there’s weight on my shoulders and tears on my face Even years from now I know I’ll say

♪I ain’t complaining About the way things are Not too long ago life was oh so easy Now when that innocence seems so far What I wouldn’t do to make the Old Things New♪

YOU do that for us Father. You take our mistakes, our regrets and rework them for us. That is what I am asking this day.

Disrespect became such an in my face reality yesterday. I immediately deemed it as others having loved each other much not well (Philippians 1:9). And I recognized myself in the process.

The Message says it this way, “So this is my prayer: that your love will flourish and that you will not only love much but well. Learn to love appropriately. You need to use your head and test your feelings so that your love is sincere and intelligent, not sentimental gush. Live a lover’s life, circumspect and exemplary, a life Jesus will be proud of: bountiful in fruits from the soul, making Jesus Christ attractive to all, getting everyone involved in the glory and praise of God” (vs. 9-11).

Oh yes Blessed God! I want You to continue teaching me to love as You would have me love. Well!

With all the emotion I am experiencing again I turn to Your Word of Truth and promises. Psalm 51:15, “Trust Me in your times of trouble and I will rescue you, and you will give Me glory.” Oh yes Blessed God, let me give You glory!

Directly across the page in The Life Recovery Bible is a Step 6 devotional entitled Healing the Brokenness. How wholeheartedly I embrace this opportunity. Being ‘entirely ready to have You remove all these defects of character’ I call on You Lord.

“If we have sincerely practiced the previous steps, we have probably found enough pain inside ourself to break our heart. Facing the fact that brokenness is part of the human condition can be crushing. But if we have arrived at this point, it is probably a sign that we are ready for God to change us.” Yes I am Lord! I saw it all so clearly yesterday!

Finishing the last paragraph of the devotional, “Jesus taught that ‘God blesses those who mourn, for they will be comforted’ (Matthew 5:4). God isn’t looking for evidence of how good we are or how hard we try. He only wants us to mourn over our sins and admit our brokenness. Then He will not ignore our needs but will forgive us, comfort us, and cleanse us.”

Yes please Father. Forgive my shortcomings. Empower me to live and love as You know is best. Well, not only much!

I love You. I need You. I bless, praise and thank You. Use me exactly as You know is best this day. Thank You. Praise You. Amen.

(1,050 words ~ 8:08 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment