Sunday, December 8, 2019

The Candle of Preparation

Sunday, December 8, 2019 (3:49 a.m.)
Holy God,

Thank You. Thank You for warmth. And hope. Thank You for learning. And looking forward. Thank You for Jesus. And all He came to teach.

“LOVE” is 
(5:30 a.m.)

…what I had written in my notes for the meaning of the second Sunday of Advent candle.

After much reading and contemplation I turn again to You. Asking Your guidance. Seeking Your will on this.

I like the various things I am learning here with You this morning. Especially this from Living Hope Church on “The Meaning of the Advent Wreath”.

Simply stated, “Advent, from the Latin word adventus meaning arrival, is the 4-week period prior to Christmas. It is a time to ponder the great sacrifice that our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, made for us by coming to earth as an infant.”

Yes Lord! Let us come to truly ponder this.

“He saved us from our sins and eternal damnation because of His great love, adopting each person individually into His family through baptism and faith in Him.” Mm, thank You!

Reading more about the traditions and symbolism behind the wreath and its candles, Father again I thank You for the desire and ability to learn more. Thank You too for the willingness to change my mind when necessary.

With so many varying conventions surrounding what week 2 represents, I am particularly drawn to something brand new to me. “2nd CANDLE - THE BETHLEHEM CANDLE or THE CANDLE OF PREPARATION”.

Yes, yes, yes Father. As we get ready to decorate our home for this particular time of year, most importantly we ask You to prepare our hearts for this holiest of times. Do all You must that we will not take any of Your blessings to us for granted.

Yes! “Help us to be ready to welcome You, O God!” Yes. Yes. Yes!

Oh most dear and blessed God, as I look to this next week as one of preparation, it is truly You I long to keep at the heart of every single one of our plans. It is absolutely You we want to glorify and enjoy this week, on our way to forever.

In preparing the way for Jesus, John the Baptist quoted the prophet Isaiah (40:3-5). The Life Recovery Bible comment for Luke 3:1-6 tells us, “he preached a discomforting message about God’s ‘bulldozer’ preparing the way for the world’s Savior.”

Incredibly Loving Lord, how deeply I thank You for the ways You speak to our hearts. Illustrated Bible Handbook says of Isaiah “Chapter 40, Comfort! God speaks tenderly to Jerusalem. Her Sovereign Lord is coming, eager to ‘gather the lambs in His arms’ and carry them close to His heart (1-11).”

Mm, yes most Holy God! “‘Comfort, comfort my people,’ says your God (Isaiah 40:1). ‘Speak tenderly to Jerusalem. Tell her that her sad days are gone and that her sins are pardoned…’ (v. 2). Listen! I hear the voice of someone shouting, ‘Make a highway for the LORD through the wilderness. Make a straight, smooth road through the desert for our God. Fill the valleys and level the hills. Straighten out the curves and smooth the rough spots’ (3-4).”

Oh, yes Blessed God. Teach me to prepare as You would have me.

Illustrated Bible Handbook reminds us that it is You, through Your Son, “who lifts up the weary and who renews the strength of those who find hope in Him!” Yes, yes, Blessed God.

“Isaiah 40 contains several incomparably great expressions of encouragement for believers of all the ages. Read them and meditate on this great God of ours. He has not forgotten you but is available now to renew your strength and to lift you up when you stumble.”

You change our hearts, Lord. You prepare us to live Your Word. Here I ask You to do all You must in, with, by, through and for us that we will use this week for Your glory and the good of others.

I love You Father. I need You. I trust You. I want You. I thank You. Amen.

(694 words ~ 7:18 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment