Friday, November 8, 2019

Tools.


Friday, November 8, 2019 (4:28 a.m.)
Blessed God,

I’m feeling a little put off right now. I don’t like the song with which I awoke. At all.

With that said, I look to You asking, where do we go from here?
(5:18 a.m.)
Acceptance. And excitement!

Yes Lord. 

Finally. Here’s a smile. A wholehearted “Yes!” And a request that You will take me deeper into Your Word.

Father, I love You. I need You. I depend on You.

Hours ago I did not like waking up to the song in my head. Two words singing over and over. Not representing You. Or my love for You. “Silver hammer.” Yuck. No thank You.

Ah… but even this I can bring to You as a starting point. Talk with You about anything. And have You change my focus.

I confess to You Father, there’s a lot going on in my mind right now. Memories of a patriarchal death. Never quite sure of the actual date.

“Bang, bang Maxwell’s silver hammer came down upon her head” And just like that I’m reminded to change my focus.

Yes Lord. It IS a catchy tune. One that I had never bothered to listen to until the other day. I was immediately horrified. 

Thank You Father that You can take something so macabre and use it for Your good as well. Letting it remind me of the importance of using the tools You provide us for their proper purpose. Ultimately for glorifying and enjoying You forever.

Yes Father. You give us the tools we need to live in, with, by, through and for You. Mm, yes, Lord. Thank You.

Thank You that I can come to You with all my thoughts. Fears. Hope. Concerns. And You guide me into Your Truth. Thank You Lord.

Reading here and there in Your Word this morning, I settle in to the book of James. The half brother of Jesus shared the tools we need in living our lives for You.

Wisdom, faith, forgiveness, self-control and generosity just to name a few. Father how I thank You.

Even Your Word itself Lord is a tool. Much like a spiritual mirror (James 1:23-25). The Life Recovery Bible talks about taking a personal inventory. And when we see what is wrong, promptly admit it. Step 10 of 12. Another tool.

Looking into a mirror we can make adjustments as needed. “James uses a similar illustration to show God’s Word should be like a spiritual mirror in our life… This illustration supports the sensibleness of making a routine personal inventory. As we examine our life, we need to respond with immediate actions if something has changed since we last looked. If we put off taking care of a problem, it may soon slip our mind… it is not logical to notice a problem that could lead to a fall and not correct it promptly.”

With that said, Blessed God, I am absolutely grateful for the “bang, bang… clang, clang” that sporadically sings itself within. Reminding me to again adjust my thinking. 

Another tool for my toolbox Lord. Much like James’ instructions for Listening and Doing.

“My dear brothers and sisters, be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. Your anger can never make things right in God’s sight. So get rid of all the filth and evil in your lives, and humbly accept the message God has planted in your hearts, for it is strong enough to save your souls. And remember, it is a message to obey, not just listen to. If you don’t obey, you are only fooling yourself” (James 1:19-22).

You are more than able to change every tune that enters my head Lord. You know far better than I what You would have me think, say and do in any given moment.

As I prepare to go out into this day, I ask You to go before, behind, beside, beneath, above and within me. Completely enfolding me in Your will.

Illustrated Bible Handbook says of this section, “Living the Word; 1:22-25. God’s Word has brought us life. But for the Word ‘planted in you’ to grow, and to reshape us, we must ‘do what it says,’ not simply bend over and peer into it, Only by ‘doing’ will God’s promised blessings come.”

So here I ask You Father, that the song I take with me will readily become ♪Yes, Lord, Yes to Your will and to Your way. I’ll say yes, Lord, yes; I will trust You and obey. When Your Spirit speaks to me, With my whole heart I’ll agree, And my answer will be Yes, Lord, Yes♪

Yes, Lord. Yes! Do all You must in making me able to use the tools You have provided me in the ways You know is best.

I love You. I thank You. I need You. I want You. Use me. Thank You. Amen.

(828 words ~ 7:27 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment