Friday, May 6, 2016

joyful hope

Thursday, May 5, 2016 (4:50 a.m.)
Blessed Father God,

You know me. The hurts. The hopes. The willingness. Or lack thereof to fully participate. I look to You to guide and teach me again this day.

Thank You Father.
(6:52 a.m.)
Thank You for extra rest. Thank You for added hopefulness.

It's our National Day of Prayer and I was just beginning to feel distressed and disappointed with the state of our nation. Thank You Blessed Father for once again reminding me of the joyful hope we have in You.

I was again dreading and doubting. Feeling cynical and skeptical. Considering all the reasons I might use to support my rationale of “What's the use? There's just no hope.”

Then You had me reading of how You used Joseph's imprisonment (Genesis 39:19-23) to Your good and to Your glory. Thank You Father that in searching the phrase “high hopes” I came across a study by Stephen J. Cole entitled, “Lesson 68: High Hopes, No Hope – But God (Genesis 40:1-23).

It was here I read of hopes being dashed. “If it happens more than once, to protect yourself from further hurt you may stop praying and hoping at all.” Uh, yeah!

Thank You Father that it was while reading this article that I remembered that I am to hope in YOU, not circumstances! Joseph's experiences were used as examples of having high hopes and the disappointments that may follow when they are not met as we expect.

I confess to You right now that I still tend to lean toward the cause and effect approach to trusting You. If I feel, am, think or do thus and such then You will answer my prayers in my time according to my desire. Uh, no!

Not even. You know exactly all that is best. In this article I am reminded that while we “can't control many of the things that happen” to us, we can control our attitude to those things. I forget this. Often! I think I want what I want when I want it when in reality what I really want is You!

Attempting to deny reality or overlook problems is never the answer. Hm. Look at this. I've been thinking of having “joyful hope” and what I'm reading refers to the apostle Paul's experience (Philippians 4:12) as “hopeful joy”.

Even this I bring to You Blessed God. Last night I thought on the Holy Spirit controlling our lives and producing “this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control” (Galatians 5:22-23a).

I coupled that Truth with 1 Corinthians 13:13. “There are three things that will endure – faith, hope, and love – and the greatest of these is love.” Love is listed first in the fruit of the Spirit and as the greatest of what will continue forever. Followed by joy in one verse and hope in the other.

I am in desperate need of huge doses of both. Whether it be joyful hope or hopeful joy, You be in charge. Leading. Guiding. Directing me to becoming exactly who it is You have always desired for me to be. Yours and Yours alone, eternally!

Father, how genuinely I thank You. Do all You must. In, by, through, with and for me. I love You. Thank You. Amen.
(556 words ~ 9:23 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment