Monday, March 19, 2012

willingly

Monday, March 19, 2012 (6:07 p.m.)

Blessed Jesus,

Thank You for coming. Thank You for living. Thank You for loving. Thank You for teaching and suffering and dying and rising again. Thank You for every single thing that You willingly went through on our behalf.

Blessed, Beloved Jesus, it is You Who teaches us to trust, have faith, be glad. Thank You for Your willingness. I am asking You to make me willing as well.

Things don’t go ‘my’ way. I feel sad. Withdraw. Build a case for myself. How much better for me to follow King David’s example. “It was my desire to build a temple in which the Ark of the Covenant of the Lord could rest – a place for our God to live in” (1Chronicles 28:2b). HIS desire!

“I have now collected everything that is necessary for the building, but God has told me, ‘You are not to build my temple, for you are a warrior and have shed much blood.’” (1Chronicles 28:2c-3). I can’t help but notice here, that he didn’t pitch a fit. Didn’t walk off in disgust. Or hold his breath ‘til he passed out.

No. He willingly obeyed. The Illustrated Bible Handbook says, “David will not be allowed to build the edifice he plans. But his last days are happily filled with its details, and in gathering the resources to create a structure which will honor the Lord.” He thanked You and praised You.

He acknowledged that all that the people had willingly given to the building project had actually come from You. “I know, my God, that You test men to see if they are good; for You enjoy good men. I have done this with good motives, and I have watched Your people offer their gifts willingly and joyfully. O Lord, God of our fathers Abraham, Isaac and Israel! Make Your people always want to obey You, and see to it that their love for You never changes” (1Chronicles 29:17-18).

THAT’S how I want to respond You Most Blessed Lord and Savior! Willingly. Trustingly. Gratefully, lovingly and devotedly! Thank You Jesus for changing my sadness into gladness and my fear into faith. Thank You for coming. Living. Loving. So that we could come to live and love You. Thank You. I love You. Amen.

(383 words ~ 7:08 p.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment