Sunday, March 4, 2012

REAL love

Sunday, March 4, 2012 (8:09 a.m.)

Absolute Loving Lord God,

I’m here asking You to teach and enable me to love as You would have me love. REAL love. Not pretend, act as if, should kind of love. No. Authentic. Real. YOUR kind of love.

I don’t do this Father. I used to think I did. But as I continue attempting to avoid ‘taking a fearless moral inventory’ I keep becoming more and more convicted that this is exactly what You would have me do.

This I can already tell is not going to be easy. I feel as though I must go all the way back to kindergarten to relearn what I have distorted. So often I have heard people warn others to be careful what they pray for, because they might just get it. I sense You changing me even as I sit here.

I confess fear to You right now. Fear of making a mistake. Fear of the mistakes I’ve already made and the long-term ramifications that I have refused to address because of them. Fear of a genuine Pandora’s box being opened and never able to be closed again.

I believe beyond all certainty that ‘You do not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind’ (2Timothy 1:7). I also know that I don’t even begin to utilize the power of Your love as I ought.

Father, how I ask You to look past my ramblings, deep into the heart of all You want of and for me. My own refusal and resistance to submit to Your call for me to love borders on plain disobedience.

There have been occasions where I have felt led, followed unswervingly and come out sure of having done the right thing. This is not one of those times. There are too many variables. Too much left to chance. Too much potential of making a bigger mess out of things than ever before.

This I am going to leave with You Blessed Father. I am truly willing to go where You lead. I just need to know that it is You doing the leading. If there are truly amends I need to make to people, I am asking that You would provide exactly the circumstances You know are necessary.

1John 3:18 is hammering me in every version I’ve checked so far this morning. The Living Bible, “Little children, let us stop saying we love people; let us really love them, and show it by our actions.”

The Cotton Patch Gospel, “My little ones, let’s not talk about love. Let’s not sing about love. Let’s put love into action and make it real.” And then there’s The Message (vs. 18-20) where I began this search.

“[When We Practice Real Love] My dear children, let’s not just talk about love; let’s practice real love. This is the only way we’ll know we’re living truly, living in God’s reality. It’s also the way to shut down debilitating self-criticism, even when there is something to it. For God is greater than our worried hearts and knows more than we do ourselves.”

None of this would be complete without Kenny Loggins singing his chorus concerning divorce in my head. I did it for you, and the boys, Because love should teach you joy, And not the imitation, That your mama and daddy tried to show you. I did it for you and for me, And because I still believe, There’s only one thing, That you can never give up, Never compromise on, And that’s the real thing you need in love

I want to love as YOU would have me love, Most Loving Father. Teach and enable to practice Your REAL love. I pray this in Your Son Jesus’ most holy name. I love You. Thank You. Amen.

(640 words ~ 9:13 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment