Thursday, March 22, 2012

Jeremiah 17:5-8

Thursday, March 22, 2012 (8:08 a.m.)

Palm Desert, CA

Awesome God,

Thank You for love and laughter. Thank You for life and all You designed it to be.

Yesterday I spent much of the morning reading in Jeremiah. Every time I do, I come away amazed.

I am nowhere near a person of his caliber. This side of heaven I don’t think I ever will be. He spoke out for You and was faithful to You despite the horrendous opposition he faced. That is a faithfulness I can only pray to some day be prepared to experience.

And even in making that statement, I confess that I don’t ever really want to be put to the tests of Jeremiah. I confess Blessed Jesus that I like the promises. I lean toward them.

While I will read verses such as Jeremiah 17:5-6, it’s only because I want to get on to verses 7-8. Lord God, thank You for teaching me again and again through the years that we must take the bad along with the good. There are lessons for us to learn continuously. Thank You for being such a patient Teacher!

Jeremiah was willing to speak Your Truth to Your wayward people even when he faced painful persecution. Thank You for his example. His willingness to speak Your Truth gives us hope.

“The Lord says: Cursed is the man who puts his trust in mortal man and turns his heart away from God. He is like a stunted shrub in the desert, with no hope for the future; he lives on the salt-encrusted plains in the barren wilderness; good times pass him by forever.” If this is all there was to look forward to, I would be first in line to give up.

Thank You Blessed Lord that even though I must confess to being all too inclined in that direction, it is Your promises of hope in You that help me stand firmer than I ever could on my own.

“But blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord and has made the Lord his hope and confidence. He is like a tree planted along a riverbank, with its roots reaching deep into the water – a tree not bothered by the heat nor worried by long months of drought. Its leaves stay green, and it goes on producing all its luscious fruit.”

Father God, I confess to all too readily embracing the promises without the warnings. Change this in me as well I ask. As I continue to grow and mature in You, keep me ever mindful of the totality of Your Truth. NOT just the parts that are easier and most pleasing to my soul.

I love You Father. I love You Son. I love You Holy Spirit. Be with me this day, crafting me into the woman You would have me be. Thank You. Amen.

(482 words ~ 9:17 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment