Sunday, March 25, 2012

fun / Andy

Friday, March 23, 2012 (8:05 a.m.)

Awesome God,

Sunday, March 25, 2012 (8:58 a.m.)

Time DOES get away from us, doesn’t it? Funny thing though, I still remember where I was going with this the other morning. And interestingly enough, the thoughts I’ve had so far today tie right in.

Friday morning I was searching Your Word looking at all the ways ‘fun’ was mentioned. Mostly it was as part of another word, such as: function or funeral. On a couple of occasions it was in reference to being ‘made fun of’. I was [still am J] thinking more along the lines of just having fun with You.

And that’s exactly where I began again this morning! A dear friend, with a great voice, called with her ‘song for my day’ that we started just last Saturday. Similar to playing “Name That Tune” I knew where we were going after the first few words.

Immediately I was caught up thinking of the story of a little boy who knew Your name to be “Andy”. How fun is that! When asked by his Sunday School teacher if anyone in the class knew Your name, he sang the chorus of this favored hymn to justify his answer.

Blessed Father God, as Mary Magdalene (John 20:1) had come to the garden alone, while the dew was still on the roses she absolutely knew You well enough to have been on a first name basis with You. Much like the little boy in the story as he heard the song sung "Andy" walks with me, “Andy” talks with me, “Andy” tells me I am His own, And the joy we share as we tarry there, None other has ever known!

That’s EXACTLY the kind of relationship I want to have with You! Intimate. Fun. A first name basis. Thank You that this is what You want for us as well. Why else would You have “written”, “inscribed”, “tattooed”, “drawn”, “marked”, “engraved” me and my name on Your hands (Isaiah 49:16)?

See there? Just as I thought we were done playing “Name That Tune” another song immediately shot to mind. Daddy’s Hands. Not a hymn, but absolutely appropriate.

Thank You Father. Daddy. Andy. Thank You for the freedom to consider You as Someone with Whom I desperately want to have fun! Thank You for Your love and joy. Your peace and patience. Your kindness and goodness. Your faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Galatians 5:22). Thank You for all You are and all You have for us to be. Thank You for intimacy and fun. I love You. Amen.

(431 words ~ 10:10 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment