Saturday, September 26, 2009

uncertainty

Saturday, September 26, 2009 (7:08 a.m.)

Most Blessed Lord,

Thank You! Thank You for lots of rest, following tons of poolside fun. Thank You for increasing the communication skills around here. And thank You Lord for uncertainty. Yes Lord. Uncertainty!

Lord, I confess the amount of time I have wasted through the years by being uncertain. So often I have been afraid to move forward, fearful of making mistakes. Thank You Lord that I get to bring all uncertainty to You. What a concept!

Lord, I have been misled in the past. I’ve fallen in line, almost like a lamb being led to slaughter. Pretty mindlessly just following along. I used to feel ashamed of my indecision. And even worse when something I was absolutely certain of turned out to be wrong.

Thank You Lord that I don’t have to stay stuck in the deadly murk, mire and muck of uncertainty. I get to confess it to You and be freed of it. Wow Lord! Thank You!

Thank You that Paul referenced uncertainty in his first letter to the Corinthians (9:26). Three different translations of the same verse say his words as such, (NKJV) “Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air.” (CEV) “I don’t run without a goal. And I don’t box by beating my fists in the air.” (TLB) “So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I fight to win. I’m not just shadow-boxing or playing around.”

Lord, I confess. Very few times in my life have I ever been that focused. I truly don’t know what it’s like to play to win. I’ve almost always just played for the sheer fun of playing. Competition, competitive nature, running to win, these are not words that describe me.

So how will You change that in me Lord? Where will come the goal to which I become so committed as to train my body “to do what it should, not what it wants to” (v. 27a)?

Lord, I look to You. Full on into Your wonderful face. Expecting You to do what hasn’t been done in me before. Light that fire of desire that will extinguish the indecision and uncertainty of my past behaviors. Set before me the clear path that You would have me take. Let me change from one of “those who stammer in uncertainty [to one who] will speak out plainly” (Isaiah 32:4b).

Lord, I love You so much. I look to You to lead and provide everything necessary for me to overcome all my feelings of uncertainty. You are bigger. You are better. You are far more wonderful than all of my fears. Thank You Lord. I love You. Amen.

(457 words ~ 8:56 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment