Monday, September 21, 2009

searching

Monday, September 21, 2009 (6:30 a.m.)

Awesome God,

Thank You! When I don’t know what else to say to You, I usually start off with ‘thank You’. It helps start my mind searching for all I am thankful to You. Which in turn, often leads me to searching Your Word. That is again the case this morning. Thank You Lord.

Thank You that in Your Word I get to read of what others have searched. Mm Lord. Truly, in You (and Your Word) I find peace, strength, nurturing, truth, rest. Who (besides You) knew what all I would find for which to be thankful in searching Your Word today. Thank You Lord!

Even here Lord, even now. I get to keep searching Your scriptures. Finding more hope, more peace, more joy, even (or is that especially?) in the midst of problems. Lord Jesus, thank You!

Thank You that I get to turn again to King David’s words of celebration recorded in 1 Chronicles 16:11 and Psalm 105:4. “Search for the Lord and for His strength and keep on searching.”

Hallelujah! Thank You Lord! Father, there is so very much for me to be thankful. Most of all, right now, I am thankful for You. Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be Your name - You, our One and only God. You, Jehovah alone. You, who the Israelites were told that they ‘must love with all their heart, soul and might’ (Deuteronomy 6:5).

Lord God, forgive my playfulness here, but I don’t think my forefathers (and mothers) got Your memo. You know, the one You told Moses to give to Your people regarding Your commandments. Deuteronomy 6:6-9, “And you must think constantly about these commandments I am giving you today. You must teach them to your children and talk about them when you are at home or out for a walk; at bedtime and the first thing in the morning. Tie them on your finger, wear them on your forehead, and write them on the doorposts of your house!”

We didn’t do that Lord. Somehow our focus got skewed. Instead of searching for You and Your strength, we paid attention and measured our successes (and failures) by what those around us thought or said of us. Forgive us Lord. Forgive me. I’ve tried, but in many ways I’ve failed.

I’ve looked to religion. I’ve sought opinions from leaders and friends in the church. I’ve tried taking shortcuts. Thank You that I don’t have to stay lost in the court of public opinion. Thank You that I get to come before You exactly as I am. Searching. Searching Your Word. Searching for You and Your strength.

Thank You Lord. I love You. Amen.

(448 words ~ 9:03 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment