Friday, September 25, 2020

making amends

Friday, September 25, 2020 (6:06 a.m.)

Holy God,


Thank You for the opportunities You give us. I was unkind in speech yesterday. Snarky. Mean spirited.


How perfect that the first verse I turn to this morning (Colossians 4:6 The Message) takes me to task. “Make the most of every opportunity. Be gracious in your speech. The goal is to bring out the best in others in a conversation, not put them down, not cut them out.”


May I just say, “Ouch!” Forgive me Father. As I sit here feeling the egg on my face harden, I humbly ask You to guide my next step. How do I best make amends to yet another mistake?


Yes Lord. Your Word stresses the importance of using our words well. Easy-to-Read Version says, “When you talk, you should always be kind and wise. Then you will be able to answer everyone in the way you should.”


Oh Lord. The more I read, the deeper the conviction. New Living Translation, “Let your conversation be gracious and attractive so that you will have the right response for everyone.” I confess. I did not!


Other translations use such descriptive words as: pleasant, seasoned with salt, sprinkled with insight, interesting, carefully chosen, well thought, sensible, always full of grace, not foolish, tempered with truth and clarity. The list goes on.


Blessed God, I ask You to forgive me. I have failed You and others. I have allowed hurt feelings and frustrations to color my thoughts, attitudes and word choices. Change me Dear Lord. Into the woman You would have me be.


You know. That one referred to in Proverbs 31. The one who is clothed with dignity and strength and laughs with no fear of the future (v. 25). Whose “children stand and bless her” and “husband praises her” (28).


It’s spelled out even more perfectly in The Passion Translation. “Her sons and daughters arise in one accord to extol her virtues [saying ‘Hooray, hooray for our mother!’], and her husband arises to speak of her in glowing terms.” What would that be like?


I long to be the woman You originally designed, Lord. Loving. Kind… Do all You must Blessed God. To Your end. I love You. I thank You. Amen.


(333 words ~ 7:55 a.m.)


No comments:

Post a Comment