Thursday, August 20, 2020

What else?

 Sunday, August 16, 2020 (6:16 a.m.)

Holy God,


Good morning. Thank You for sleep. Thank You for friends. Thank You for…


What else? Mm, yes. What else?


Time. Love. Opportunity. Mistakes. Reminders. Laughter.


Yes Lord. I remembered to laugh off a mistake I made yesterday, rather than dwell on it. Thank You for reminding me to do so.


Colossians 3:12-14 The Glory of Love.

(12:08 p.m.)

“What else?” indeed!


Father, You provide blessing after blessing. And far too often I growl and grumble at them.


An earlier than expected church time. With a friend. A houseguest in the time of COVID-19. Birthday cupcakes and a super easy quiche for breakfast. All because I look to You. Remembering to ask “What else am I thankful for?”


Lord God, You give us hope. And Truth. Reminders. Promises. Joy. It all comes from looking to You and not our circumstances. Thank You Father.


You not only call us to live a life of love, no You provide us the tools as well. Thank You Jesus!


Illustrated Bible Handbook poses the question, “What is a truly spiritual life like?” And then sums up the Truth found in Your Word. “It is simply a daily walk in which we forgive others as the Lord forgave us; in which we are compassionate, kind, humble, gentle and patient (Colossians 3:12-14). It is simply living with others the kind of life that Jesus lived when He walked on earth, and thus to reveal the loving and holy character of our God.”


The phrase “it is simply” is rather misleading to me. I confess to finding everyday life in this world anything but simple. It is only in You. And with You, And by You. And for You that I can come anywhere near living each day in the love You call us to.


The Message tells us, “So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It’s your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it” (Colossians 3:12-14).


On my very best day I may hit one or two of these targets. How I ask You to remind me to simply “Wear love.” Yes Lord! What else? Wear love!


Do all You must to this end. I love You. I need You. I want You. I thank You. Praise You Father. Amen.

(442 words ~ 12:38 p.m.)


No comments:

Post a Comment