Thursday, August 13, 2020

momentarily

 Thursday, August 13, 2020 (6:06 a.m.)

Holy, Holy God,


It’s been quite some time since I’ve gone outside to witness the early morning beauty of Your sky. Thank You Father. And just like that, it was gone. Here one moment and gone the next.


Thank You Lord that that is not our experience with You. You are ever present. Although we may or may not be aware, You are here. Always. Not momentarily.


Holy God, You bless us. Perfectly. Constantly. Just like this morning’s fleeting beauty, we don’t always see it. Often times we aren’t looking in the right direction.


For two nights in a row I searched Your sky for glimpses of the Perseid meteor shower. Reported as the optimal opportunity, I missed out both times. Rather than focus on the disappointment of not seeing it, I am here thanking You for the chance of trying.


Yes Lord. You provide us chance after chance. Opportunities. Favorable times/occasions/moments. The right sets of circumstances. We just don’t always recognize them for what they are. Thank You Father.


This morning I come before You with a full day of possibilities. Nothing is planned. Plenty is available. I long to worship You Lord. Get to know You better. Continue reading how ‘what I believe about You actually changes my brain’ (The God-Shaped Brain).


What a fabulous concept! “Our thoughts and beliefs affect our physical, mental and spiritual health.” Knowing You to be good and loving enables us to grow and flourish. Distorted images of You “lead us into unhealthy patterns of self-defeating behaviors and toxic relationships.”


Holy God, how I thank You for sending Jesus and Your Holy Spirit to save us from ourselves. It is in Your very presence I long to live this day.


2 Corinthians 13:13 came immediately to mind. Upon searching it I am excited [AGOG] to read Paul’s Final Greetings. Beginning at verse 11.


“Dear brothers and sisters, I close my letter with these last words: Rejoice. Change your ways. Encourage each other. Live in harmony and peace. Then the God of love and peace will be with you.”


This is no momentary promise. Here one minute and gone the next.


“Greet each other in Christian love [Greek with a sacred kiss]. All the Christians send their greetings. May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all” (vs. 12-13). Oh yes most blessed God. Yes!


Reading The Life Recovery Bible comment for verse 11, I am reminded that this is not anything we are expected to do in our own strength and power. Paul “admonished the people to open their minds and hearts to personal change and the healing of their relationships.”


Oh yes most dear and blessed God. We circumvent our own healing in so very many ways.


“Such spiritual growth and interpersonal harmony can be fueled by faith in God, the ultimate source of healing love and peace.” How I ask You to do all You know is best on our behalf Blessed Father.


How I thank You again for the many ways You speak to each of us every day. Much earlier it was through that momentary glimpse of color in the north eastern sky. Now it’s in another verse.


The Voice tells us “The glory of the Eternal arose from the center of the city and began to move east, stopping momentarily above the mountains to its east called the Mount of Olives” (Ezekiel 11:23). This verse found among five under the title The LORD’s Glory Leaves Jerusalem.


Reading the description of the prophet’s experience I imagine such sadness. Turning the page wanting to learn more I again experience such hopefulness.


The KEY VERSE listed for this book is 36:26. “And I will give you a new heart with new and right desires, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony heart of sin and give you a new, obedient heart.”


You do this for us Lord. When we turn to You. Confessing our sins. Willing to forgive and be forgiven. You do this.


Thank You Father. Thank You for the hope that comes from trusting You.


The comment for verse 11:23 closes with this Truth. “If we continue in our destructive ways, we will face devastating consequences. We would be wise to shed our denial through a rigorous personal inventory before it is too late. If we admit our sins to God, He will help us deal with our difficult situations and build a better future.”


I believe this Father! I believe Jesus’ Truth in John 10:10. “The thief approaches with malicious intent, looking to steal, slaughter, and destroy; I came to give life with joy and abundance.”


Holy, Holy God, how I look to You asking that You would continue Your work in each of us to this end. I keep reading. Feeling fortified.


Father, I ask Your strength in living this day in Your mighty power (Ephesians 6:10). None of the evil we may experience at any given time are we capable of defeating in and of ourselves.


We are to ‘put on all of Your armor so that we will be able to stand firm against all strategies and tricks of the devil’ (v. 11). He IS our great enemy. Prowling around like a roaring lion. Looking for some victim to devour (1 Peter 5:8).


You promise to cleanse us from our sins (Ezekiel 36:33). The Life Recovery Bible comment spells out Your Truth. “Sin separates us from God and leads to destruction. Until the sin is dealt with, we will not experience the power that God offers us to overcome our dependency. It is impossible to rebuild countries or lives without first dealing with the sins that are destroying them. Before we can achieve success, we must first confess our sins and accept the forgiveness and cleansing that God offers.”


Oh most dear and Blessed God, how truly I ask You to forgive the hate that is in my heart. It is often so subtle I almost forget that it’s there. I need You to “Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a right spirit within me” (Psalm 51:10).


How I praise You. And I thank You. Looking to You to save me from all evil. I love You. I need You. I want You. And I ask You to do all You must. In Jesus’ most precious name. Amen.

(1,105 words ~ 7:48 a.m.)


No comments:

Post a Comment