Thursday, August 23, 2012

musical question


Thursday, August 23, 2012 (6:54 a.m.)
Blessed Father,
Just now I awoke with a musical question. Are you havin’ any fun? It’s a legitimate query and I thank You so much for bringing it to my attention. Thank You as well for Your Word to which to take it.
There are far more than a hundred entries for ‘fun’ in the concordances I looked in. Thank You that it is even listed in the topical index of The Life Recovery Bible, followed immediately by “(see Enjoyment)”.
Upon going to ‘enjoyment’ I was sent also to ‘happiness’ and ‘joy’. In following these entries I’m taken to Psalm 65:1-4 and a devotional entitled Joy in God’s Presence. Father God, how I thank You for all Your Word has to say on so many subjects.
Starting with verse one I read the word we shared together yesterday. “O God in Zion, we wait before You in silent praise”. Verse four ends with “What joy awaits us among all the good things there” (in the courts of Your holy tabernacle). Your Word affirms our invitation to meet You there. Thank You.
As I continue digging and searching Your Word, Eugene Peterson’s writing of Galatians 5:22-23 calls out to me. Have I never read this before?
“But what happens when we live God’s way [when the Holy Spirit controls our lives]? He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard – things like affection for others [love], exuberance about life [joy], serenity [peace]. We develop a willingness to stick to things [patience], a sense of compassion in the heart [kindness], and a conviction that a basic holiness permeates things and people [goodness]. We find ourselves involved in loyal commitments [faithfulness], not needing to force our way in life [gentleness], able to marshal and direct our energies wisely [self-control].”
And with this incredible Truth I turn to a Theology in Brief in the Illustrated Bible Handbook, given to me long ago by such a dear friend. Under the title “Faith and Feelings” the fourth point that is made advises that we never “judge the strength or validity of our faith by our feelings.” We are to instead “let God shape our feelings as we relate to Him.” It reminds that we “cannot change our own feelings simply by willing them to be different.” But that as we focus on who You are and the meaning of our relationship with You, You “will graciously work in our emotional life as well as in our understanding, and shape us” to YOUR image!
So as I continue with the original musical question You posed for me this morning, I ask that You enable me to answer with a profound and resounding, “YES!”
What y’getting’ out o’ livin’? What good is what you’ve got If you’re not havin’ any fun?
Thank You Blessed Father for Your love and Your faithfulness. Help me follow You to the fruit of Your Spirit this day. I love You. Thank You. Amen.
(505 words ~ 8:29 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment