Wednesday, August 8, 2012

hoarding


Wednesday, August 8, 2012 (7:16 a.m.)
Most Blessed, Awesome, Incredible, Holy God,
It’s been almost an hour that I sat down to start this with You. I keep struggling with the word that is obvious. It’s not the least bit attractive in today’s society. It has taken on an extremely negative connotation. Yet here I am. Asking You to speak with me about hoarding. ACK!
I was confronted yesterday with a situation that I have allowed to grow exponentially out of control the past two years. Items continue being acquired and stored at the home of my parents. Both of these parents no longer physically here with us.
Father God - deep cleansing breath – do a mighty work in me regarding hoarding. The words used in the thesaurus don’t make it look nearly as bad as it does in reality. “Stockpile, store, collect…” Seems simple enough. Until one really takes a good, long look at it.
Father, I have allowed this collecting and storing of stuff to continue. With every churn of my stomach as I’ve watched it grow evermore out of control, finally I turn to Your Word. And here again You are prepared for my asking long in advance.
The Preacher/Teacher had a couple of things to say about it in Ecclesiastes, as did Jesus (Matthew 6:19-21) many years later.
Under the subject title Have Respect for God, these few words speak volumes. “There is another serious problem I have seen under the sun. Hoarding riches harms the saver” (Ecclesiastes 5:13). And just below The Value of Generosity, “Don’t hoard your goods, spread them around. Be a blessing to others. This could be your last night” (11:2).
Father God, I KNOW in my heart the importance of sharing. Help me become one who willingly and easily does so!
Matthew’s narration of Jesus’ words regarding A Life of God-Worship says simply, “Don’t hoard treasure down here where it gets eaten by moths and corroded by rust – or worse! – stolen by burglars. Stockpile treasure in heaven, where it’s safe from moth and rust and burglars. It’s obvious, isn’t it? The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being.”
Ah, yes, most Blessed Lord. Let my treasure be with You! Help me have the conversations I have to have regarding this current situation. I love You so very much. Thank You for Your presence here with me and Your Word on the subject. I love You. Amen.
(418 words ~ 8:10 a.m.)



No comments:

Post a Comment