Friday, June 30, 2017

tools

Friday, June 30, 2017 (7:51 a.m.)
Holy, Blessed God,

Thank You! Good, solid sleep helps me think better. About things for which I originally applauded myself and now realize was only part of the equation.

Stick with me here Father, as You always do, my thinking is just starting to make sense.

A two year old was taught to stand up on the second step of the pool last night when she lost her balance. How we all rejoiced with her ability as she practiced her new skill on her own. Under. Up. Under. Up.

What I didn't realize until just earlier was that was exactly what was NOT working for her when she had arm floaties on in the deep end. I couldn't understand why she continued bobbing (and frustrating) herself again and again. Under. Face full of water. Attempt to wipe water away. Under. Face full of water. Attempt to wipe water away.

Lord! How often do I do that? I learn the beginning of a new skill. I have a new tool. And I expect that one device to get me through all situations.

Not so! We can't use a hammer as a screwdriver. We need to have a variety of tools in our toolboxes. And to know precisely when and how to use them.

Holy God, Blessed Father, if You need to use the struggled determination of a two year old to teach me such a powerful lesson, so be it!

We can't stand up in deep water. No matter how hard we try. We can flip over onto our backs and rest. We can reach for the nearest edge on which to hold. We must breathe deeply. Stay calm. Use the variety of tools You provide.

The apostle Paul wrote his fourth letter to the Corinthians (which we know as 2 Corinthians) “to explain new life in Christ while also defending [his] authority to preach” (THE BOTTOM LINE The Life Recovery Bible).

The bulk of translations use the word weapons or arms of warfare to express what Paul is saying in defending his authority to preach the Good News of Jesus. It is The Message that speaks most profoundly to me this morning.

With a quick sidenote at the back of the book (TLRB). “Reflections on Second Corinthians insights ABOUT PRAYER” mentions the importance of learning to encourage others without losing balance in our own lives. Yes. Amen!

And now, The Message (2 Corinthians 10:3-6) “The world is unprincipled. It's dog-eat-dog out there! The world doesn't fight fair. But we don't live or fight our battles that way – never have and never will. The tools of our trade aren't for marketing or manipulation, but they are for demolishing that entire massively corrupt culture. We use our powerful God-tools for smashing warped philosophies, tearing down barriers erected against the truth of God, fitting every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ. Our tools are ready at hand for clearing the ground of every obstruction and building lives of obedience into maturity.”

Mm, yes Jesus please! Exactly that. Teach me to use Your tools. Powerfully. Appropriately. Skillfully. And I in turn will keep learning more from two year olds.

Thank You Blessed Father. I love You. Amen.
(548 words ~ 8:52 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment