Sunday, December 11, 2016

pleased and content

3rd Sunday of Advent, December 11, 2016 (7:39 a.m.)

Incredibly Awesome God,

Thank You! You are working in me. I was keenly aware of it yesterday. I experimented. Had some success. Made a few mistakes. Rested. Regrouped. And went away feeling pleased. And content.

Holy Father God, how I thank You for the genuine joy You provide to my heart. Beginning much earlier this morning as I made the conscious decision to practice smiling. I confess to You Father, I honestly forget to smile.

Thank You that You often remind me of the importance of not taking things too seriously. A simple smile breaks the negativity that many times takes up far too much space in my mind. Thank You for the change that comes with smiling.

Simply turning the corners of my mouth up instead of down settles my soul. It reminds me to breathe in deeply. To consider You and all the opportunities You provide us. Father, how I thank You.

Thank You too for this particular season of Advent. Two weeks ago we thought about the hope that is ours to come. Last Sunday we were reminded of being surrounded by Your love. Today we begin a week of considering “a grace note of joy”. Thank You Father.

How glad I am to be reading in Deuteronomy 6. A chapter subtitled, A Call for Wholehearted Commitment in one Bible and The Most Important Commandment in another. Love the Lord Your God is used in yet one more.

No matter how we phrase it, it all comes back to being quick to hear (“Shema”) that You alone are the only true God (6:4) and that we must love You with all our heart, soul and strength (v. 5). Thank You for reminders Father. Reminders to commit ourselves wholeheartedly to Your laws (6) and repeatedly talk about them to our children (7).

When we talk about You and Your unconditional love for each of us, how can we help but smile? Keep reminding me Blessed God. It is still not my first, go-to facial expression.
(12:05 p.m.)

Thank You for the privilege of reading and contemplating Your Word. As I prepare to leave here for now, I ask that You would continue teaching me the value of joy. And risk! An important word that just again came back to mind.

Let me use well the lessons I am learning in experimenting and not being afraid. Empower me to take the risks You would have me take. As well as remember the importance of Deuteronomy 6:12. The verse that started this whole line of thinking.

“When you take it all in [cities you didn't build, houses you didn't buy, wells you didn't dig, vineyard and olive orchards you didn't plant (vs.10-11)] and settle down, pleased and content, make sure you don't forget how you got there - GOD brought you out of slavery in Egypt.”

Yes, Father! Make sure I don't forget! I love You. Thank You. Amen.

(500 words ~ 12:14 p.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment