Monday, March 14, 2016

still growing

Monday, March 14, 2016
Blessed God,

I was coming here before You with my thoughts heading in one direction. The moment I saw the date all of my thoughts changed. How I ask You right now to take control of every bit of my thinking.

Today marks another anniversary of the passing of a very dear loved one. Father, I could so easily get lost in the details of that day. Again I ask You to guide my thoughts.

Holy God, I love You. And, oh how I thank You for all the work You have done in our lives.

Six years ago I had opportunity to study and repeatedly determine to stand firm in the Truth of Colossians 2:7. Thank You Father for preparing me for one of the biggest challenges of my life by presenting me with the apostle Paul's words to the believers at Colosse.

The Life Recovery Bible cites the purpose of Paul's letter as showing us “that Christ is the only real source of power in our life.” Thank You Father.

Thank You that this morning I get to seek Your Word and continue to “Let my roots grow down into Him and draw up nourishment from Him, so I will grow in faith, strong, and vigorous in the truth I was taught. Let[ting] my life overflow with thanksgiving for all He has done” (Colossians 2:7).

From here I get to refer back to Jesus' own words describing Himself as “the true vine, and my Father as the gardener” (John 15:1). Holy God, again I thank You.

Thank You for pointing me again to this particular chapter. The Life Recovery Bible comment for verses 15:1-8 tells us “God desires that our life be like the fruitful branches of a grapevine. The only way to be fruitful is to remain connected to Jesus, the vine, and to allow God, the gardener, to prune our life to stimulate growth and fruitfulness.”

After an entire day of yard work yesterday (and the aches this morning to prove it) I thank You that You ARE our Gardener.

The footnote continues, “It is God's cultivating, weeding, and pruning in our life that brings forth spiritual fruit, character development, and progress in recovery. Just as sustenance for the desired fruit comes through the vine, so fullness of life comes through faith in Jesus Christ. We need to stay close to Jesus, the source of power and practical help for recovery.”

Thank You! Thank You, Father. Thank You, Jesus. And thank You, Holy Spirit. Thank You for earthly reminders that our strength, future and potential fruitfulness relies in our staying connected with You.

Bless us this day Dearest Lord. Keep us intimately connected with You. We love You. We long to serve You. And we ask that You continue teaching us to do it well. Thank You. Love you. Amen.
(474 words ~ 9:35 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment