Sunday, November 29, 2015

"godliness with contentment"

Sunday, November 29, 2015 (5:37 a.m.)
Holy God,

As You continue teaching me more about prayer, this morning I ask You to help me consider the many gifts You have provided and guide me in being happy with them all.

I experienced a level of peace yesterday. A simplicity in doing just the next thing. I was honest with the tasks necessary as well as the time frame and ability I had. Blessed Father, thank You. Thank You for a very matter-of-fact approach to the day.

It is with this same mind frame that I came across 1 Timothy 6:6 (The Message). “A devout life does bring wealth, but it's the rich simplicity of being yourself before God.” Rich simplicity. Being myself before You. These are thought provoking phrases.

Reading various translations brings an abundance of descriptions:

The Living Bible, “Do you want to be truly rich? You already are if you and happy and good.”

Easy-to-Read Version, “Devotion to God is, in fact, a way for people to be very rich, but only if it makes them satisfied with what they have.”

God's Word, “A godly life brings huge profits to people who are content with what they have.”

Common English Bible, “Actually, godliness is a great source of profit when it is combined with being happy with what you already have.”

New King James Version, “Now godliness with contentment is great gain.”

New Living Translation, “Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth.”

The Voice, “This is ironic because godliness, along with contentment, does put us ahead but not in the ways some imagine.”

Worldwide English, “It is true that people are much better off if they live to please God and if they are satisfied.”

New Life Version, “A God-like life gives us much when we are happy for what we have.”

J.B. Phillips New Testament, “There is real profit, of course, but it comes only to those who live contentedly as God would have them live.”

I heard it said years ago, “Happiness is not having what you want. It is wanting what you have.” Thank You Father that You keep reinforcing Your Truths in us.

Thank You for another opportunity to look to You, truly asking, seeking and knocking (Matthew 7:7) for the rich simplicity of being myself before You.

I love You. I ask Your presence in all my heart, soul, mind and strength that I would truly love You, myself and others as You would have me love (Mark 12:30-31). Not just today, but always.

I love You. Thank You. Amen.
(431 words ~ 7:03 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment