Wednesday, November 18, 2015

what is good

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 (6:06 a.m.)

(6:48 a.m.)
Holy God,

Talk with me this morning about what matters to You. Again, my focus has shifted to what is important to others. Let's bring it all back to You, shall we?

Mm, yes. There's a big deep breath. A complete sense of calm. A return to looking at You.

Micah 6:8, “He has told you, O man, what is good: and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?” (English Standard Version)

Just as I was ready to ask You what this really means, I looked up at the Easy-to-Read Version. “Human, the LORD has told you what goodness is. This is what He wants from you: Be fair to other people. Love kindness and loyalty, and humbly obey your God.”

At first glance it sure looks easy enough. Of course, I love kindness. Oh but looking more deeply at it do I really “do what is right [just] to other people”? When it comes right down to it, do I truly “love being kind to others”? And honestly, when do I actually obey You?

There are so many ways of presenting these three seemingly simple instructions. “Act with justice, treasure the LORD's gracious love, live [walk] humbly, trusting [obeying] your God” (International Standard Version).

Blessed, Father God, I find fault with myself. Yet I do little to change it. I struggle with wanting to find a healthy balance between doing way too much and far too little. I read Your Word. Get excited about change. And slip right back into comfortable, easier patterns.

I come before You once again, asking (Matthew 7:7) wholeheartedly that You would do all You must in and with, by, through and for me that I would truly aspire to doing what is good.

The Message paraphrases it, “But He's already made it plain how to live, what to do, what GOD is looking for in men and women. It's quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, And don't take yourself too seriously – take God seriously.”

Yes. Please! Empower and enable me to take You seriously. Do all You must to make it so blessed God. I love You. Make me able to do what is good. Thank You. I love You. Amen.
(406 words ~ 7:48 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment