Friday, April 18, 2014

"the joy of the Lord is my strength"

Good Friday, April 18, 2014 (7:00 a.m.)
Most Blessed and Holy Father God,

Thank You. For the past half hour I've been reading about the joy of the Lord being my strength (Nehemiah 8:10). I confess to You right now that I'm not at all sure what that even means. But I do know I experienced it yesterday.

Continuing in my rereading of the book Lisa, I felt my heart breaking for the torment her parents were going through at the time. Unsure if it's because I remember how her story ended, even through the tears in my eyes I knew what I was feeling in that very moment was joy. Pure joy. The joy of the Lord that is my strength.

I recognized it. Right then and there. I even questioned myself. How could this possibly be joy? My heart is breaking. Just look at all these tears. But I came back to believing nonetheless.

Thank You Father. Thank You for the work You are doing in our lives that is teaching us to turn to You. Depend on You. Knowing, trusting, believing that Your joy is our strength. This morning I ask You to teach me more.

Things aren't perfect. Your Word teaches us that because we live in a fallen world (Genesis 3) we will struggle. But You did not leave us alone to our own devices. You gave us “The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead...” (Romans 8:11). Because of that we have hope.

On this particular Friday that represents all the sadness of Jesus having suffered and died for our sins, I have Your joy in knowing that “It's Friday, but Sunday's Comin'” (Tony Campolo). Thank You Dear Father.

Thank You that through these latest tears (and chills) I get to again experience the joy in You that is my strength. Fill me with Your presence so I will take You with me into the world this day. Discipline me into truly being Your disciple. Sharing You freely with others.

I love You so very much. Thank You for another evidence of Your joy. I love You. Use me well this day. Thank You. Amen.
(366 words ~ 7:56 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment