Monday, March 31, 2014

discipline

Monday, March 31, 2014 (8:15 a.m.)
Awesome and Amazing God,

You helped me sleep. One moment I was almost wide awake confessing powerlessness to You and the next I was joyfully resting in the comfort You provided.

Acknowledging to You the random, mindless and out of control eating I have been doing recently freed me to trust You to restore me to whatever sanity You see best. And with that happy truth I fell deeply and soundly back to sleep.

Father, thank You. I don't even know where to start. Truly. I don't have a clue.

You are good. Faithful. Loving. Kind. Perfect. Wonderful. And I am in need of Your discipline. Ack! What am I saying?

Oh, but it's true. I know I am in desperate need of Your discipline. I have fallen headlong back into practices that do not serve You well. Your Word is speaking to me again.

Revelation 3:19 (GOD'S WORD Translation), “I correct and discipline everyone I love. Take this seriously and change the way you think and act.”

Isaiah 38:16 (The Living Bible), “O Lord, Your discipline is good and leads to life and health. Oh, heal me and make me live!”

Hebrews 12:6 (The Voice), “For the Lord disciplines those He loves, and He corrects each one He takes as His own.”

Now much is said in all I've read. Some of the translators used the word 'punish'. I'm not so keen on asking You to punish me. 'Teach'? Yes. Absolutely! 'Correct'? I'm up for that. 'Chastise; severely discipline; scourge; whip'? Oh, I'd really rather not.

But here's my thinking. You DO know what You are doing. I CAN trust You to love me as You know is best. So as tentative as I may feel in the asking, I commit to You my plea. Discipline me as You know best.

I love You. I long to serve You. And I want to do it in Your power. Not my own. Bless me. Keep me. And just like that I'm reading a section (Hebrews 12:1-13) in The Illustrated Bible Handbook.

“God's discipline is always loving (6). Difficulty is not an indication that God is displeased with us. It is evidence of His love!” Thank You.

“God's discipline is a family matter (7,8). A father only accepts responsibility for the training of legitimate children! The fact that God disciplines shows that we are really His own.” Yes!

“God's discipline is purposive (10). God never acts on impulse. He always looks ahead and has our benefit in view. His purpose is that we might grow to 'share His holiness.'” Yes Dad, I want to share Your holiness.

God's discipline is effective (11). God's training may bring a temporary pain, but it will produce righteousness and peace.” Hmm, nice.

“God's discipline calls for response. Rather than becoming listless or falling into paralyzed inactivity, we are to continue vigorously on, sure that the discipline will not disable us but bring healing.”

That is my prayer Blessed Father. I want You to use me to Your good and to Your glory. Discipline me that I would be an active participant in Your plan. You are good. You are holy. And I believe You know what You are doing. Guide and direct my heart, soul, mind and strength to loving as You would have me love (Mark 12:30-31).

Don't let me waste a moment of Your precious time this day. I love You. I want to serve You. And I want to do it on Your terms. Thank You Father. I love You. Amen.
(599 words ~ 9:40 a.m.)


No comments:

Post a Comment