Sunday, March 23, 2014

♫Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me♫

Friday, March 21, 2014 (7:43 a.m.)
Cruising north to Port of Houston, TX
Awesome God,

Thank You! An unexpected view has me singing to You. Late last night and again this morning sights in the sky have surprised me.

A gasp at seeing an old-time football helmet shaped moon had us leaning on the ship's railing before bed. Sleeping with the curtains and the balcony door open afforded me a comfortable view of the predawn cloudy sky.

Seeing some pink on the eastern horizon, I scrambled to set up an impromptu viewing station. How blessed was I to have coffee delivered by a seemingly Italian fellow who was as impressed by the view as myself. Completing the moment with a kiss of his fingers in appreciation.

As the clouds parted giving way to an intensely brilliant sun, how grateful am I for the husband's willingness to hunt out and find the compact spring umbrella I brought for just this occasion. Remaining completely comfortable and fully shaded from the sun's bright rays. Priceless! Thank You Father.

And now, back to the song. It's continued softly in my head this whole time. Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me♫
(8:44 a.m.)
Success!

I wasn't sure how best to find the Bible verse I had written this song title next to. Shortcuts in searching did not avail much. Checking verse by verse from the NIV Compact Concordance under 'peace' finally gave me Psalm 34:14.

A penciled bracket beginning at verse 11 has me reading that section. A comment at The Life Recovery Bible page bottom has me looking to verse eight. Another comment directs me to the first verse.

My reading draws me up into Psalm 33 and I sit here contemplating Your goodness and Your grace. Daddy God, I want desperately to live what I am poring over. “Let all the joys of the godly well up in praise to the Lord, for it is right to praise Him” (Psalm 33:1). Yes!

“Play joyous melodies of praise...” (v. 2). “Compose new songs...” (3). “For all God's words are right, and everything He does is worthy of our trust. He loves whatever is just and good; the earth is filled with His tender love” (4-5). “Let everyone in all the world – men, women and children – fear the Lord and stand in awe of Him (8).

Yes! Yes, please! “No wonder we are trusting Him. We trust His holy name. Yes, Lord, let Your constant love surround us, for our hopes are in You alone” (21-22).

As I move back down into Psalm 34, I ask that Your work would continue in making me a truly, living, breathing example of Your Truth. “I will praise the Lord no matter what happens. I will constantly speak of His glories and grace. I will boast of His kindness to me. Let all who are discouraged take heart. Let us praise the Lord together and exalt His name” (1-3).

I confess Blessed Father, I don't do this consistently. I hit and miss as circumstances change. “For I cried to Him and He answered me! He freed me from all fears” (4). You have! Repeatedly. Yet far too often I repeat old patterns.

“This poor man [woman, in this case] cried to the Lord – and the Lord heard him [her] and saved him [her] out of his [her] troubles. For the Angel of the Lord guards and rescues all who reverence Him” (6-7).

Mm. That's me. I get to keep seeing myself right here in Your Word. “Oh, put God to the test and see how kind He is! See for yourself the way His mercies shower down on all who trust in Him” (8). I believe You. I do. Yet...

I forget. Lose focus. Revert.

“If you belong to the Lord, reverence Him; for everyone who does this has everything He needs. Even strong young lions sometimes go hungry, but those of us who reverence the Lord will never lack any good thing” (9-10).

You provide my every need. You do. I've seen it happen. It's Your peace I am experiencing. Your peace I long to share with others.

“Sons and daughters, come and listen and let me teach you the importance of trusting and fearing the Lord. Do you want a long, good life? Then watch your tongue! Keep your lips from lying. Turn from all known sin and spend your time in doing good. Try to live in peace with everyone. Work hard at it” (11-14).

♫Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me♫

This I ask You Dearest Daddy God, make me an instrument of Your peace. “When we experience deliverance from God, it should be natural for us to praise Him and share the good news with others. If we care about other people who suffer as we did, we would be selfish not to tell how we found help” (34:1-7 The Life Recovery Bible comment).

Sharing. Yes. Sharing Your Good News. Your blessings. I've yet to become accomplished [proficient, talented, adept, masterly, successful, skilled, capable, efficient, seasoned, practiced, trained, great, nifty] at this.

“Boasting about our God and the help He has given us is one kind of boasting that is good to do. We will find that this kind of godly boasting will not only encourage others in their recovery, but it will also strengthen our faith in God” (34:1-7).

Make it so in me Dearest Daddy. Make it so. I love You. I thank You. I praise You. “May my spoken words and unspoken thoughts be pleasing even to You, O Lord my Rock and my Redeemer” (Psalm 19:14). Please. Thank You. I love You. Amen.

 (968 words ~ 10:09 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment