Sunday, March 30, 2014

So...

Sunday, March 30, 2014 (8:30 a.m.)
So...

I've been avoiding coming here to You ever since I got up this morning. Beforehand, I was eager and excited. What happened? What changed?

While honestly not having a clue, I want to start thanking You and see where that takes us. So... Thank You for Your love. Your love that encompasses us all. Your love that brings us together. Your love that holds us together.

I keep thinking of all those who love You yet don't like one another. How does this translate to You? I also think of how much I love You while at the same time being stubborn and judgmental.

How do I lay all the negatives down and just come to You? By rejoicing. What? I don't feel like rejoicing. I want to...

The list of negatives could continue should I choose it. Thank You that YOU change my focus. Searching around in Your Word I get to read John's first letter to an unnamed group of early churches. At the time (A.D. 85-96) he was the only surviving apostle. He wrote to share Your Truth.

The Illustrated Bible Handbook deems 1 John as “Fellowship with God”. Hmm. That seems a great place for me to start.

“The word 'fellowship' means literally, 'sharing.' That is what this warm NT letter is about: a life of intimate sharing of ourselves with God and with each other.” Okay. I can go along with that.

“For all who want to know and experience God in a deeply personal way, John's first letter is full of promise. In it the aging apostle of love invites us to come and journey into joy.” Yes please. I want very much to journey into joy with You!

Under Structure and Outline this letter is described as “John's brief statements, made in simple words, feature contrast. He speaks of light against darkness, truth against error, God against satan, life against death, love against hate.” That seems to be where I am this day.

In the back of my mind (heart and soul) the Truth of 1Corinthians 13:1 keeps stepping forward. “What if I could speak all languages of humans and of angels? If I did not love others, I would be nothing more than a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.” Blessed Father God, I want to be so much more than that!

Back to The Handbook. Chapter 1:1-4. Invitation to Joy. “This letter, like John's Gospel, goes back beyond creation to affirm a pre-existing Jesus (cf. John 1:1-13). John's message is always Jesus: Jesus as God's life-giving word (1)”.

What would it be like to know Jesus like that? “John stresses the fact that his experience with Jesus has had a continuing impact in his life... It is this continuing fellowship John wants other Christians to share (3).”

Me too Father. I want to watch my Christian friends enjoy fellowship with You. “John writes warmly and urgently. He knows that fellowship with God is our only hope to know real joy.”

YOU brought me here to You this morning and I thank you! Thank You for the writings of Your apostle. And thank You for the introduction to First John in The Life Recovery Bible.

Because John's letter was about the basics of faith in Christ, it helped his readers take inventory of their faith. It helped them answer the question, Are we true believers?”

I confess Blessed Father, I ask myself that question often.

John told them that they could tell by looking at their actions: If they loved one another, that was evidence of God's presence in their lives. But if they bickered and fought all the time, or were selfish and did not look out for one another, they were betraying that they, in fact, did not know God.”

You keep working in me. Many are the times that my own emotions start to take over while Your Word remains firm. “Stop lying to each other; tell the truth, for we are parts of each other and when we lie to each other we are hurting ourselves” (Ephesians 4:25).

Your Word Father. Your Word is chockfull of Truth! “If you are angry, don't sin by nursing your grudge. Don't let the sun go down with you still angry – get over it quickly; for when you are angry, you give a mighty foothold to the devil” (vs. 26-27).

There is so incredibly much to be found in Your Word. How could I possibly want to go to all those other places than right straight here with You? Keep working in me. Changing me. Loving me. Making me into the woman You created me to be. One who truly rejoices in all You are!

I love You Blessed God. And I want to serve You as You would have me serve. Teach me. Guide me. Mold me. Make me. Do in and through me all that only You can. I love You. Thank You. Amen.
(835 words ~ 9:55 a.m.)


No comments:

Post a Comment