Sunday, March 23, 2014

generosity

Saturday, March 15, 2014 (2:19 p.m.)
Port of Houston, CA
Wonderfully Amazing, Generously Giving God,

You amaze me! Your generosity to us amazes me! I don't even know how to begin to thank You for the gifts You provide us.

At this very moment I am sitting alone on a balcony patio on the back of a cruise ship right outside our cabin. Why? Because years ago Your Word was spoken to me through a book [Total Woman] I chose to believe. Marabel Morgan wrote about the strategies and techniques she used to not only save, but to strengthen her marriage.

My first reading of the book, I looked passed the Biblical references. I didn't want to be bothered with them. I just wanted ideas to improve my relationship. How very young [20] and naive I was!

Thank You for using that book to speak to me in ways that far surpassed any naivete I was experiencing at that time. Forty years later I am still practicing many of the concepts. Most important of all is my reliance on Your Word. And benefitting from Your Wisdom.

I get to sit here. Alone at my own choosing. Because this husband works so hard to give me everything I want. Overhearing him tell a complete stranger, “I am the man I am because of her” brought such a smile to my heart.

This man. This man that You created and gave to me to love delights in giving me things. Often times [take this particular trip for instance] they are things I don't necessarily want, need or ask for. Yet here we are. Enjoying the company of our extended family. The “partners” you gave us all those years ago. Seven adults and three kids. Laughing. Smiling. Genuinely enjoying each other.

Why? Because of Your generosity. Father, You are kind. Generous. Gracious. Giving. Even here. As I sit reflecting on past times I have thanked You for Your generosity I get to quote words of my own from several months ago.

Expressing a thankfulness to You, I read in 1Corinthians 12 about accepting, not rejecting Your gifts to us. “This little paragraph at the bottom of the page (12:4-11) reminds me that 'Whether we have recognized it or not, being in recovery is a unique gift in itself.' It goes on to share that because of our failures, as well as the successes, 'we are uniquely gifted to help others struggling in similar ways. By sharing our story of deliverance with others, we may be giving the gift of life to a person in need.'

“The next section (12:12-26) cautions against taking credit for the perfect gifts You have so generously bestowed upon each of us. It reminds that, 'When we have an accurate view of ourself, we will give God the credit for the gifts He has given us and be thankful for the help He has given us in recovery.'

“Blessed Father God, that is exactly where I am this morning. Absolutely thankful for the work You are doing in my life. Thank You Father. Thank You for Your love. Your glory. Your generosity. Enable and empower me to use them well this day. I love You Father. And I thank You. Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment