Friday, January 27, 2012

words that begin with "p"

Friday, January 27, 2012 (5:28 a.m.)

Powerfully, Praiseworthy “Papa” God,

You started this theme with me several hours ago. At first I was completely unaware of it. I woke up in pain. After falling back to sleep, I awoke with the word ‘purpose’. Although when I actually saw it in my mind’s eye, it read ‘perhaps’. After that was ‘picture’ or ‘photo’. I wasn’t sure which. When I started talking to You, ‘praise’ immediately came to mind.

So here I am ‘prepared’ to explore wherever You ‘plan’ to take me this morning. Right now I’m in the Topical Index at the back of my Bible. First word? “PARDON (see Forgiveness)”. That seems like a very good place to begin.

Ah, but no. “PERFECTIONISM”. Yes. That’s it. “The Paradox of Powerlessness”. 2 Corinthians 4:7-8, “But this precious treasure – this light and power that now shine within us – is held in a perishable container, that is, in our weak bodies. Everyone can see that the glorious power within must be from God and is not our own. We are pressed on every side by troubles, but not crushed and broken. We are perplexed because we don’t know why things happen as they do, but we don’t give up and quit.”

Sweetest Jesus I need You to speak to me here. I AM perplexed! Weak. Feeling pressed on ever side. I believe I am not supposed to feel crushed and broken, ready to give up and quit. It is ONLY Your power working in me that can get me through the rest of this day.

And see? I confess that and I find relief! I’m in tears with the hopefulness that comes from believing and trusting Your Word. Blessed Lord God, I do NOT know the plans You have for my body. But I choose to believe that ‘they are plans for good and not for evil. Plans to give me a future and a hope’ (Jeremiah 29:11).

I pray then I read more in Paul’s letter. I tearfully smile, as I begin to hope again. With all pretense gone from my thoughts right now, I confess that I am feeling scared and sad and tired of not knowing what to do. One minute I think I’m on the right track and the next I fear the pain and immobility will only continue to get worse.

One professional says one thing and another, something else. Father God, You know what You would have me do, where you would have me go for help. I don’t. The pain does not seem to be lessening. Healing doesn’t seem to be taking place. What would You have me do? Where would You have me go?

I do not believe You to be a punishing God. Yet I confess to wondering, am I being punished for something? Have my all too ready judgments of others landed me in this current world of pain?

Forgive me Most Loving Lord. Your Word gives me hope and power. Please Most Dear and Blessed One, may all the words that begin with “p” serve to bring You praise.

Ah, and here it is. The word I didn’t know I was looking for. “Promise”. The promise Paul provides in verse 16-18. “That is why we never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our inner strength in the Lord is growing every day. These troubles and sufferings of ours are, after all quite small and won’t last very long. Yet this short time of distress will result in God’s richest blessing upon us forever and ever! So we do not look at what we can see right now, the troubles all around us, but we look forward to the joys in heaven which we have not yet seen. The troubles will soon be over, but the joys to come will last forever.”

Commentaries that follow present the promise thusly, “if we trust God to help us in this life of decay and death, we can be sure of His blessings in the future.” [Promise! J] And “Once we recognize the paradox of powerlessness it can be a relief. We don’t have to pretend to be perfect. We can live a real life, with daily struggles, in a human body beset with weakness and still find the power from above to keep going without being crushed and broken.”

Ah, freedom found in the form of Your powerful promises! Father God, how profoundly I ask You to ‘bless and protect me; radiate Your face with joy because of me, be gracious to me, show me Your favor and give me Your peace’ (Numbers 6:24-26).

It is absolutely in Your Son’s precious name I pray. I love You. I thank You. Amen.

(790 words ~ 8:05 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment