Friday, January 13, 2012

distracted

Friday, January 13, 2012 (7:47 a.m.)

Blessed Jesus,

Waking up isn’t easy this morning. Let me start by saying, “Thank You Jesus” and see where that takes me. Thank You, Jesus. Yes. Thank You Jesus.

I get to wake up in a house. With a heater. And the smell of freshly brewed coffee. By my husband. Who loves me. That’s five things right there. Without even thinking too hard.

Talk to me this morning about gratitude. Being grateful. Thankful. There are spring flowers blooming in the backyard.

(8:58 a.m.)

How about I confess how very distracted I am this morning? Every Christian song playing on the husband’s computer right now leads my thoughts first one way then another. Every Bible verse I come across makes me think, ‘Yea. This is the one.’ And then I’m off texting my brother or playing newspaper words games.

Blessed Jesus, my focus is NOT staying on You this morning! I don’t know what to do about it other than confess it to You.

(9:29 a.m.)

A perfect case in point. A simple trip to the restroom just now resulted in sweeping and scrubbing the floor. Lord Jesus, I want to focus on You!

I’m reminding myself of Martha (Luke 10:40) where she “was distracted by her many tasks”. I truly want to more resemble ‘her sister Mary who sat at Your feet as You talked’ (v. 39). The sister You described as fully understanding, “one thing is necessary. Mary has made the right choice, and it will not be taken away from her” (42).

A quote of this section in The Illustrated Bible Handbook says, “Any work we do ‘for’ God must flow from a significant personal relationship with the Lord.” Yes Lord. Bring me to Your feet. To listen. To learn. To be willing to obey.

Thank You Jesus. Thank You for turning my distracted thoughts to a calm and settled heart. One that truly DOES love You and wants to sit quietly at Your feet. Deep, cleansing breaths remind me of Your peace. Your love. Your willingness to sacrifice Yourself on our behalves. Thank You Jesus. You did exactly what I asked much earlier. You talked to me about gratitude. Thank You. I AM grateful Jesus!

I am grateful to You for all You allow me. The music I hear. The sights I see. The work there is to be done. Let me do it all as I fully and resoundingly sing out Holy is the God Almighty The earth is filled with His glory…

Followed immediately by Wonderful, so wonderful is Your unfailing love Your cross has spoken mercy over me

Blessed Jesus, if I am going to be distracted by anything this day, let it be YOU! I love You so very much. And I thank You. Amen.

(467 words ~ 9:56 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment