Friday, February 25, 2011

answers

Friday, February 25, 2011 (7:43 a.m.)

Hi God,

How’s it goin’? Not too formal or reverent just now. Work with me okay? “Life” is WAY different than I expected – way back when I was sure I had all the answers.

Why thank You Lord. I turn my thoughts and focus to You and You speak to me. Again Your answer is love. And where do I find myself in Your Word this morning? 1Corinthians 8. Reading about doctrinal disputes. And Your answer to them all? Love!

Dearest, Blessed Lord, I love You! You created us. You’ve blessed us. Embarrassingly, I used to think I understood W-A-Y more than I really do. Thank You that every time I go off half-cocked, You ever so gently bring me back to Your way of thinking. Lord. Thank You!

Thank You that again this morning I get to read of others, like myself, who’ve had to struggle with being so sure of all they think they know. 1Corinthians 8:2, “If anyone thinks he knows all the answers, he is just showing his [or in this particular case, HER! J] ignorance.” And there we have it folks! A full on description of me!

Thank You Lord that You never leave us alone in our own ignorant state. You bring us back to Your way of thinking. To Truth. YOUR Truth!

The verses immediately preceding and following this excerpt speak again of what is truly needed. The end of verse one says, “But although being a ‘know-it-all’ makes us feel important, what is really needed to build the church is love.” And verse three, “But the person who truly loves God is the one who is open to God’s knowledge.”

Sign me up for one who truly loves You Lord. For no other reason than You are good. You are Holy. You are faithful. Honorable. Life-giving. Necessary. Absolute. Perfect. Truth. Love (1John4:8).

Guide me. Teach me. Direct me to being loving Lord. With all my heart, soul, mind and strength (Mark 12:30) that I will TRULY love others as well as I love myself (v.31). And here again comes a Truth from several years past, T-H-E Truth that restored a severely broken relationship.

Combining two versions of Philippians 1:9-11, I begin first with what jumped off The Message page at me so many years ago. “So this is my (Paul’s) prayer: that your love will flourish and that you will not only love much but well.” Oh Most Dear and Blessed God, it is my sincere desire that You would continue teaching me what it is to “love well”.

Continuing with The Cotton Patch Gospel, “And this I pray: that your love may keep growing until you have such understanding and keen perception that you can sort out the truly important matters. I pray too that you may overflow with the goodness that comes from following Christ, to God’s credit and honor.”

Yes Lord. May it be so! Let my answers ever be steeped in Your message of love. Your love for us. Ours for You and one another. Make us a people of Your love. This I pray in Your Son’s most holy name. I love You. Thank You. Amen.

(540 words ~ 9:31 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment