Friday, January 7, 2011

addiction?

Friday, January 7, 2011 (10:26 a.m.)

Loving Lord,

We’ve talked about this many times before. I have a problem holding onto things. [Which is not to be confused with my dropping them J] No. I save too much. I don’t get rid of. Where always before I’ve been aware of the emotional attachments I have to things, now I am wondering if there is actually an addiction involved.

Aren’t You just the Perfect One to ask all things about myself! No sooner am I searching scripture to find a listing of addiction and Galatians 5:19 pops up to help me take a good, hard look at myself.

Lord, I confess I saw myself in the hopeless resignation of a hoarder shown on TV the other night. I related with the pain he exhibited as others encouraged him to part with everything he considered to be of potential use someday. Lord, I long to be free of the hold things have on me.

My heartstrings tug at the mere thought of parting with most of the things that others have given me through the years. I experience varying degrees of being afraid of hurting someone else’s feelings by getting rid of a gift OR of missing something desperately once it is gone.

Lord, I am looking to You with this. I have witnessed Your work in me. I absolutely know that You are able to do in and for me that which I cannot do for myself. I am laying myself at Your feet. I trust You Lord. I believe You not only can but WILL work with me in this area.

As I admit my powerlessness to You in this area (Step One of the Twelve Steps) I absolutely believe that You, “a Power greater” than myself can restore me to sanity (Step Two). And I am making the decision to turn my will and life over to Your care (Step Three).

Blessed Lord God, as You accompany me on this journey of making “a searching and fearless moral inventory” of myself (Step Four) how I ask Your presence with every single step I take. Don’t let me wander off on my own. I can be so easily overwhelmed without You. Hold my hand here Lord. Making me honest, open and willing to the changes that MUST take place within me to overcome this dependence I have of holding on to stuff.

I love You so very much Dearest Lord. Thank You for Your love, Your patience, Your mercy and Your grace with me all these years. Thank You. I love You. Amen.

(430 words ~ 12:40 p.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment