Thursday, February 11, 2010

Super, Superior, Supreme

Thursday, February 11, 2010 (6:29 a.m.)

Super, Superior, Supreme

It all started on Sunday. Super Sunday. So named because of The Super Bowl. Super. Superior. Supreme... All from the Latin super ‘above, beyond.’

Lord, You are super, superior, supreme. And I can’t even begin to get my head around what that truly means!

All these days later I’m still giving thought to You, but not much else. There’s a resistance going on inside me. I keep feeling called to You. I give a nod, then quickly head back to one distraction or another.

I’m unwilling to go any deeper with You. It’s all been right here on the surface. Is this a lack of trust? A fear of commitment?

I didn’t feel good the other night. I got really scared. I didn’t know what to do. Where to turn? Thank You God that You did hear my prayers. You comforted and healed me.

But I know that I am still feeling hesitant. I have my guard way up, lest I drop it and start to hurt again. Come here with me and teach me what You would have me learn.

Oh and no sooner asked, then received! Thank You Lord. Thank You that I have stumbled over words and thoughts and ideas and cues all the way back to the other day when I was pruning the roses and thinking of how it is that You are indeed “the true Vine” (John 15:1).

Oh blessed Lord, it’s been quite the circuitous (longer than the most direct way) journey to get back to those glimpses from the other day. I remember fearing making a mistake with our mature plants that came to us as slips from my beloved husband’s childhood home. Gifts from my mother-in-law that I never fully appreciated until I cut one much too short several years ago.

As I struggled last week with deciding which cuts to make, I remember being comforted with the thought that You never doubt. You know exactly which branches to lop off in order that we will grow and produce even greater crops (John 15:2).

Thank You Lord. Thank You that all this time I have been thinking of You as super, superior, supreme, You used the Mini-Articles and Background Articles connected to Psalm 83:18 in The Learning Bible to remind me that You Are!

You are “the God above all gods in supreme charge of all the earth.” You are “the Vine” (John 15:5). We are the branches. We have to stay connected to You in order to grow. We must allow God, Your Father, our Gardner to prune us in ways that stimulate growth and fruitfulness.

Forgive my fear Dearest Lord. It is not of You. It is familiar to me. But it is not Your best for me. Continue teaching me to trust and depend on all the things You are. Super. Superior. Supreme. Perfect! I love You Lord. Thank You. Amen.

(491 words ~ 8:49 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment