Monday, February 22, 2010

discomfort

Monday, February 22, 2010 (5:29 a.m.)

Blessed Lord,

Good Morning. I love You. Thank You. The pain in my lower back made me think of being uncomfortable. Not finding that word listed, I looked for discomfort and once again found another unflattering view of myself. In Jonah of all places!

Thank You Lord that You have the most profound ways of getting my attention. As I continue reading more of Jonah’s negative attributes (he hated, disobeyed, ran away, choose death, drug his feet, pouted) I see even more of myself.

Lord, I noticed my first big twinges of discomfort in the Spanish-speaking portion of the worship service yesterday. I recognized that I was feeling lectured. I truly wanted to bolt out of the door as the level of my uneasiness grew. I honestly could feel myself growing hotter as I was given facts and truth that I did not want to accept.

Again I say. “Thank You Lord!” Thank You that just because I feel uncomfortable about something doesn’t change its existence. Thank You that because of Jonah’s resistance to obeying Your plan for him, I get to learn that many of my feelings have been felt before. Thank You that because of the lengths he went in his disobedience I get to learn from his mistakes and turn back to You sooner.

Lord, thank You for the blessings You continue to provide. Blessings, miracles even, that are precious and faith building. Thank You for the remission of a very young single mother’s bout with bone cancer. Lord, thank You for the gift of watching this particular family stand together in Your light throughout this entire process. What a humbling, awe-inspiring gift it has been to come before You with prayers on their behalf.

What joy and honor to watch a young baby boy clap excitedly with the whole of the congregation at his mother’s announcement (in both English and Spanish) of such truly good news.

Lord God, as the tears again begin to form, I cannot thank and praise You enough for a gift such as this.

Blessed Lord, thank You for this opportunity to speak with You about discomfort. Continue teaching me more of what it truly means to love as You would have us love. As much as I love You, I am convinced that it pales miserably in contrast to what You so rightly and richly deserve.

Thank You for discomfort Lord. Use it to lead me to You. Thank You. I love You. Amen.

(417 words ~ 6:49 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment